Page 1 of 271 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default The Tower Discussion Thread!

With our first set of towers being delivered today, I thought it was time to dedicate a thread to our exciting new loudspeaker.

I will do my best to post as much information as possible and answer as many questions as I am able.

But first a few pictures (sorry for the bad quality on this first set of shots)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Measurements

Attached is an in-room frequency response measurement taken in our listening room. The microphone distance is 2 meters and the speaker is positioned 3 feet in front of the wall behind it.

A few important comments:

1. The two large dips (one at 70Hz and the other at 250Hz) are room reflections and should be ignored.

2. Note the incredibly flat frequency response and impressive high frequency extension. In our well treated listening room and at 2 meters distance, the high frequency response is -3dB at 27kHz. 1" and even smaller soft dome tweeters are typically at least -10dB at 20kHz @ 1 meter in-room - and as much as -16dB at 2 meters due to high frequency losses.

3. While the speaker has not been designed for deep bass, in-room and positioned so there is little bass reinforcement from the front wall, the speaker is -3dB at 34Hz. Anechoic bass response is -3dB at 41Hz.

4. Typical in-room sensitivity is 92dB at 2.83v at 1 meter. Anechoic sensitivity is 89dB at 2.83v at 1 meter.

5. Minimum impedance = 4 ohms with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. The impedance response is smooth and free of any artifacts (wrinkles) which would indicate potential resonance problems, thanks in part to the bamboo cabinet and exceptional transducers In addition, the electrical phase angle never exceeds +/- 30 degrees which means despite the 4 ohm minimum impedance, the speaker will work well with most 8 ohm rated receivers.

And just a few more specifications:

Shipping weight = 57 pounds each (although this may change slightly as we are still finalizing the packaging details.)

Dimensions = 43" high x 7.5" wide x 10.5" deep

Loudspeaker power handling = massive! (we have yet to reach the speaker's limits but I would estimate it to be about 350 clean watts)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davef; 03-18-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Those speakers are beautiful. What color is that considered?? Are you going to post some pictures with other colors that are avilable ? Are these the pictures of Brandon's speakers ?? Sorry for all the questions, but getting excited about what Brandon is going to say about them. I'm not sure if i missed what equipment he would be playing them on.

Thanks Rich

Man, those look nice!! why do they have to look so nice...

Default Re: Measurements

Dave,

Thanks for posting the pictures and specs. A few questions:

-Will they be offered in the natural bamboo (like the Sierra's)?
    -Is there a center in the works? If not, what would you recommend people use for a matching center...Sierra Nrt?
    -Do you have an approximate price or is that still being refined?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reflections1 View Post
    Those speakers are beautiful. What color is that considered?? Are you going to post some pictures with other colors that are avilable ? Are these the pictures of Brandon's speakers ?? Sorry for all the questions, but getting excited about what Brandon is going to say about them. I'm not sure if i missed what equipment he would be playing them on.

Thanks Rich
    Rich,
    For you and anyone else wondering what equipment I will be running these with:
    Proceed amp3 for front 3 channels - 150w/ch at 8ohm, 250w at 4ohm
    Parasound 2100 preamp with HT bypass & yamaha Rx-v2600 for movies
    Squeezebox Touch (source)
    Oppo 981 DVD player for SACD & DVD_Audio
    Rythmik D-15SE sub EQ'ed very flat with Behringer FD

Drool.....

also because I pretty much know how these will sound...
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Drool.....

also because I pretty much know how these will sound...
    Curtis - I recall you mentioned you heard a prototype? Have you heard this recent production model as well? Initial reviews were very positive.

Quote Originally Posted by kma100 View Post
    Curtis - I recall you mentioned you heard a prototype? Have you heard this recent production model as well? Initial reviews were very positive.
    Unfortunately, I haven't. My schedule has not allowed for it.
    -curtis

Drool........slober.....wipe chin......repeat!!

Ok, so those look really sexy. I hope someone close to me orders a pair so I can make a new friend!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables