Page 260 of 271 FirstFirst ... 255256257258259260261262263264265 ... LastLast
Results 2,591 to 2,600 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by jwarthman View Post
    Hello, this is my first post, although I've been lurking/reading for a while! I see many very experienced people here, and would love to get recommendations.

I've ordered a pair of Sierra Towers with RAAL. I will be driving these, along with a Horizon center (dome tweeter, not RAAL) with a Denon AVR-X6700H. I have a 5.2 configuration with really old Energy rear surrounds, and the subs are a new SVS SB-3000 and an old Energy e:XL-S10. So ya, one sealed and one ported sub, which isn't ideal...

This Denon has Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and I have the MultEQ app on an iPad for additional tailoring.

The system will be used ~70% for movies, 30% for music.

So, I have two questions (for now). First, how to handle bass management?

That is, how best to configure the crossover from the Towers to the subs? The Denon gives me a few options. I could configure the Towers as "small", and direct the bass energy to the subs below some particular frequency. SVS recommends a 60 Hz crossover for these Towers, which is bit lower than the 80 Hz I've seen recommended here.

Or I could tell the Denon to send all frequencies to the Towers, and also send frequencies below the low-bass filter frequency to the subs.

Last, I could forego use of the subs and send all frequencies to the Towers.
    I'd suggest not using the Energy sub. If the two subs aren't properly set up, the ported sub might have a negative effect on the overall bass.
    Set the towers as small and start with an 80hz crossover. It would be easy to switch to 60hz and see which one works better in your rooms and to your ears.

Regarding the Horizon, the NRT tweeter should be ok but certainly the Raal would be preferable. I think another sub or two Rythmik's would be more of a priority as far as upgrades
    Last edited by natetg57; 06-04-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: wording
    Nate

I agree using the dome with RAAL towers is not optimal...in reverse dome towers with RAAL horizon... provides a more seemless transition because of the different dispersion patterns of said tweeters for dialogue and CC duties(fwiw that's what I'm doing iirc...Dave had discussed this long ago).

Likewise when using two drastically different subs you'll be hurting the overall output in trying to merge the energy with the Svs...the energy will be the weak link and to integrate properly you'll effect the sb3000. I'd just use it alone IMO....your only as strong as your weakest link...
    Last edited by billy p; 06-05-2021 at 08:58 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I agree using the dome with RAAL towers is not optimal...in reverse dome towers with RAAL horizon... provides a more seemless transition because of the different dispersion patterns of said tweeters for dialogue and CC duties(fwiw that's what I'm doing iirc...Dave had discussed this long ago).

Likewise when using two drastically different subs you'll be hurting the overall output in trying to merge the energy with the Svs...the energy will be the weak link and to integrate properly you'll effect the sb3000. I'd just use it alone IMO....your only as strong as your weakest link...

I have my RAAL towers set at large and let the receiver do the crossover to my Salk customized bamboo Rythmik sub. The bass transition from the towers to the sub is unbelieveably smooth.

Chops

Great feedback, thank you all!

Nate, you (and Billy) both agree, best not to use the Energy sub. I may eventually get another SVS to match the one I have, but in the meantime is is there no effective way to balance the two? What if I plug the port on the Energy?

Chops, can you elaborate a bit? Why did you choose to set your RAAL towers to "large", and what crossover freq. did your receiver pick?

Thanks again, everyone!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jwarthman View Post
    Great feedback, thank you all!

Nate, you (and Billy) both agree, best not to use the Energy sub. I may eventually get another SVS to match the one I have, but in the meantime is is there no effective way to balance the two? What if I plug the port on the Energy?

Chops, can you elaborate a bit? Why did you choose to set your RAAL towers to "large", and what crossover freq. did your receiver pick?

Thanks again, everyone!

Jim
    If a speaker is set to 'Large', then there is no crossover. A full-range signal is sent to that speaker. Sending the same bass frequencies to both the speakers and the sub is generally not recommended but may work fine in some situations. Setting the speakers 'small' also relieves strain from the amp since it doesn't have to send bass frequencies to those speakers.
    Nate

Chops here.............

Correction my speakers are set at small on the receiver with the crossover set at 60.
    (When using LFE IN on the Rhythmik, phase control and crossover control have no
    function (same for all controls labeled as non-LFE).

So the receiver is handling the bass crossover . Overall the Towers bass transition to the
    sub is much smoother this way in my opinion.

Just read 260 pages of the tower discussion thread. Interesting and fun read.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Question Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    Just read 260 pages of the tower discussion thread. Interesting and fun read.
    CB,

Considering a PSA P3 Regenerator for my Music room components. Curious what audible system benefits when using your P3 have you experienced?

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I didn’t notice any improvement at first. It wasn’t until I had it hooked up for weeks that there was a change to the initial sound hooking it up after it had a blown fuse. Long story short not a lot of change, but it was a worthwhile investment nonetheless.

The fuse was inexpensive to get replaced. Just went to Amazon with the part number.
    Last edited by choirbass; 06-20-2021 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    I didn’t notice any improvement at first. It wasn’t until I had it hooked up for weeks that there was a change to the initial sound hooking it up after it had a blown fuse. Long story short not a lot of change, but it was a worthwhile investment nonetheless.

The fuse was inexpensive to get replaced. Just went to Amazon with the part number.
    CB,

Thanks for the quick info...very helpful!
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!