Page 224 of 271 FirstFirst ... 219220221222223224225226227228229 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to hear that you are enjoying the towers and that they are comparing nicely against your Song 3A's. I believe the Song 3A's are ~ $4K pair so that is saying a lot...

Just wanted to clarify a few things... The RAAL we are using in our towers is a slightly customized version of the RAAL 70-20xr with the amorphous core transformer combined with a custom faceplate that I designed and was then carried over to our Sierra-2 tweeter. The ribbon in the Song 3A is the 64-10, a great tweeter but a significant step down from the RAAL 70-20xr and much less expensive. What makes the 70-20xr so amazing isn't just the additional radiating area (which is more than double) - it is the unique way RAAL is damping the diaphragm, which is something I am under an NDA regarding the details of. There is very little in common between the RAAL 70-20 and the 64-10, other than they are both true ribbon tweeters and made by RAAL.

With that in mind, the 64-10 is an offshoot of our custom Sierra-2 tweeter (there are differences and they are not interchangeable) There was great expense in the development of our Sierra-2 tweeter, literally dozens of different samples and loads of man hours involved on both ends. Aleks gave me the opportunity to keep the tweeter entirely exclusive to us, which due to the development expenses, we would have had to commit to a specific amount of volume per quarter. At the time, the number was scary and I was hesitant to commit. Aleks understood, so we agreed that an OEM version would be released (what is now the 64-10 etc)

Seemed like a fair and reasonable compromise to me so we agreed to it... RAAL is a small company and it is important in this industry to also help our vendors -- and this agreement worked out well for them and we have done well with our Sierra-2 as well. Win-Win if you ask me - because if we were not able to maintain the volume RAAL wanted with exclusivity -- it would have been a big issue for RAAL (who knows if they would have recovered) and also for us.

Hope this clarifies!
    Hi Dave,

How about the back story for the mid woofer and the bass woofer used in the towers?.Who makes them?

I believe the woofers are made by SEAS. If you include that in a search on the forum a bunch of stuff should come up. That would be easier than scanning through 200+ pages anyways. www.seas.no

Seas makes the Sierra 2 woofer, the Sierra 1 tweeter, and the NRT tweeter.

The Sierra 1 woofer, the Sierra tower woofers, and the Sierra tower midrange come from Tang Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post

The Sierra 1 woofer, the Sierra tower woofers, and the Sierra tower midrange come from Tang Band.
    My understanding is that parts are made by Tang Band.

I can't tell whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with what I wrote!

I can't tell whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with what I wrote!
    LOL! I meant that the Sierra-1/Tower woofer, and Tower mid are partly made by Tang Band.

Hmm, interesting. So they ship woofer parts to Dave and he sits there and wraps the voicecoil wire himself, by hand? No wonder he's so busy all the time!

Can you elaborate?
    Last edited by Beave; 11-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Hmm, interesting. So they ship woofer parts to Dave and he sits there are wraps the voicecoil wire himself, by hand? No wonder he's so busy all the time!

Can you elaborate?
    LOL, even I could not handle that task

I won't go into too much public detail regarding this, but we source some specific parts made for us by another vendor - which are then used in the final assembly. We've been doing this for a while now but it is becoming a bit more common. For example, with some Rythmik woofers, due to the complexity of the voice coil design (due to Direct Servo) - the voice coils are sourced from one vendor (who can get that critical part built properly) and then shipped to another to be used in the final assembly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

SEAS currently builds the following for us:

HTM-200SE / CBM-170SE tweeters
    CMT-340SE tweeter
    Sierra-1 tweeter
    Tower tweeter (NrT dome)
    Sierra-2 woofer
    Luna woofer

I might be forgetting something...
    Last edited by davef; 11-14-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks! Now the post from Curtis makes much more sense to me. :-)