Page 202 of 271 FirstFirst ... 197198199200201202203204205206207 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Dave also mentioned that he can front port the Sierra Towers, but it is a custom cabinet and has to be done while the Sierra Tower cabinets are being built so that one can be pulled from regular production to be customized. Because of this, it is generally a long wait time to get one done, and it is going to be costly. Email or call Dave directly and he can get you quoted and let you know what kind of lead time you're looking at. Be prepared to wait a long time.

I really don't think it's quite necessary to front port the Towers. The port is not huge, and it doesn't produce a ton of frequencies like some ports do. Remember that the woofers in the tower are crossed over at 200 Hz and the midrange is sealed. As long as you can get the port at least 6-8 inches away from the wall I think a front port is pretty overkill.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    As long as you can get the port at least 6-8 inches away from the wall I think a front port is pretty overkill.
    I'll add if you have TV/console in between your speakers, then unless you have at least 6-8 inches behind them, they are not far enough forward. The face/front baffle of the speakers should at least flush with the front of the console if not farther.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Depends on how far away you will be sitting from the speakers.
    Hi Curtis

I took measurements and the couch is about 10 feet from the speakersIMG_1136.jpg resize.jpg

fyi- this is a temporary set up, as I just moved and am looking for a suitable rack.
    Last edited by music first; 07-25-2016 at 10:25 AM.

103 inches is nothing. You want to abide by the golden triangle rule, though, so you want to sit the same distance away from the plane of the speakers as they are apart. IE you want to sit 103 inches back from the speakers. Some people will extend that a little bit as well. Just make sure they're toe'd in enough that it sounds right and you're good.
    So the golden triangle rule is basically if the speakers are 103 inches apart, then you should listen about 103 inches back from the speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I'll add if you have TV/console in between your speakers, then unless you have at least 6-8 inches behind them, they are not far enough forward. The face/front baffle of the speakers should at least flush with the front of the console if not farther.
    Absolutely, this is extremely important. Reflections off of a console can make your speakers sound terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by music first View Post
    So the golden triangle rule is basically if the speakers are 103 inches apart, then you should listen about 103 inches back from the speakers?
    Yes, you should be making an equilateral triangle where the base of the triangle are the speakers and the top is your main listening position.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

Absolutely, this is extremely important. Reflections off of a console can make your speakers sound terrible.

Yes, you should be making an equilateral triangle where the base of the triangle are the speakers and the top is your main listening position.
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by josephnunn View Post
    From a previous post:

"@davef Can the towers be configured with front ports? Theoretically, this could provide the imaging benefits of the Towers with the near-wall-placement and midbass slam benefits of the Horizon."

I am also interested in having towers with front ports, can this be done?

I've tried using search in these forums to find the string "front port" to see if this has been answered but unfortunately the search function does not appear to work with phrases, only 1 word keywords.
    Yes, absolutely - we can make front ported towers, however - it is important to determine why you actually need them to be front ported. Please feel free to email us directly or send me a private message through the forum so that we can discuss additional details.

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Who owns or has seen the Satin Black Bamboo towers and if so, what do you think? What about compared to black matte and is it cool looking as in an upgrade to standard finish?

The satin black lets the grain of the bamboo show through in a subtle way. It is definitely an upgrade and more of a furniture like finish.

Quote Originally Posted by shinny View Post
    Who owns or has seen the Satin Black Bamboo towers and if so, what do you think? What about compared to black matte and is it cool looking as in an upgrade to standard finish?
    I think this is a good representation: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/image.../bb1-large.jpg
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com