Page 138 of 271 FirstFirst ... 133134135136137138139140141142143 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2707

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

After listening for a few days I will repeat the one word I said in the first five minutes - SMOOTH! And yah I wish the Horizon was smaller, but man-oh-man, what a speaker!

FastKayak / Larry

I got my Sierra Towers and Horizon Center a couple of days ago. All three Black Matte w/ RAAL for my blacked out home theater room. I gotta say I am EXTREMELY impressed with the sound. I now understand what people are talking about in being able to distinguish locations of instruments and vocals. I originally wanted Piano black then I want Satin Bamboo and my girl wanted Espresso, but I have NO regrets with going with black matte after sitting down and looking at my room. I know I would've marvelled at that beautiful Piano black finish for about 15 minutes then cover it up in velvet black so I dont get reflections in my home theater room.

I have some Axiom QS8 for surrounds that I want to replace but I want RAAL. I'm hearing there are Sierra 2's or Sierra 1's that can have the RAAL tweeter. That is what I want!

Quote Originally Posted by cischico View Post
    I got my Sierra Towers and Horizon Center a couple of days ago. All three Black Matte w/ RAAL for my blacked out home theater room. I gotta say I am EXTREMELY impressed with the sound. I now understand what people are talking about in being able to distinguish locations of instruments and vocals. I originally wanted Piano black then I want Satin Bamboo and my girl wanted Espresso, but I have NO regrets with going with black matte after sitting down and looking at my room. I know I would've marvelled at that beautiful Piano black finish for about 15 minutes then cover it up in velvet black so I dont get reflections in my home theater room.

I have some Axiom QS8 for surrounds that I want to replace but I want RAAL. I'm hearing there are Sierra 2's or Sierra 1's that can have the RAAL tweeter. That is what I want!
    I have the Espresso towers with NRT and the Horizon with RAAL. They just sound great. They look awesome as well. I'm on the prowl now for a matching piece of Salamander furniture. I'm going to be implementing some Sierra-1s as surrounds when I move into our new home. I'm sure it is overkill but I was able to get a good price on one of them and purchased the other b-stock from Ascend.

I think the RAAL might be a bit lost in the surrounds but if you want it go for it! I think you can get them done now via special request. I think they wind up costing as much as the towers with NRT but I could be mistaken. Enjoy!

How much toe in is everyone using with their towers?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    How much toe in is everyone using with their towers?
    I haven't used any at all. I've not noticed any problems with imaging during movie soundtracks or stereo music.

Anyone with Towers in Central Ohio that is willing to give a demo? I can bring my REW setup for measurements if you want.
    Last edited by natetg57; 09-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Nate

I have a question about a change in the Tower cabinet. I recently ordered a second set of Towers, and they have a line around where the front baffle attaches. My earlier set does not have this line, so naturally I'm curious as to what has changed, and why?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I have a question about a change in the Tower cabinet. I recently ordered a second set of Towers, and they have a line around where the front baffle attaches. My earlier set does not have this line, so naturally I'm curious as to what has changed, and why?

Jay
    Hi Jay,

By line around the front baffle, I assume you mean the reveal.

Several cabinet runs ago we changed the front baffle joinery from 45 degree miter joints to a double rabbet. We made this change when our cabinet maker acquired a more capable CNC router. This is a more complex joint and is also significantly stronger. Since this joint moves the reveal back from the edge where the corners meet to ~ 1/2 the thickness of the front baffle, we agreed to highlight the reveal as it breaks up the monolithic look of the tower. I find it quite nice.

Attached is a drawing I made a while back showing the difference..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Jay,

By line around the front baffle, I assume you mean the reveal.

Several cabinet runs ago we changed the front baffle joinery from 45 degree miter joints to a double rabbet. We made this change when our cabinet maker acquired a more capable CNC router. This is a more complex joint and is also significantly stronger. Since this joint moves the reveal back from the edge where the corners meet to ~ 1/2 the thickness of the front baffle, we agreed to highlight the reveal as it breaks up the monolithic look of the tower. I find it quite nice.

Attached is a drawing I made a while back showing the difference..
    Thank you for the drawing, and explanation. I like it, as if it wasn't already way stout, now it's even more so. Typical Ascend, making great even better.

Jay

That's pretty cool. I love how this improvement was implemented into the current product, instead of releasing it in a completely new product (the super uber Tower that comes with more better, uh, stuff).

Jay, I apparently missed the news that you received another set of Towers. Wow! Are you using them in another system or are they for surrounds (e.g. five identical-performance speakers)? Either way, congrats!
    -Jacob