Thread: Marine speakers?

you might try crossfire speakers www.crossfireaudio.com I have put these speakers into 3 of my cars great sound and not alot of money they also make marine speakers

Frank,

Thanks for the tip! The actual link is http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com though.

Their marine speaker look very nice, but I can't find any online dealers selling the emarine versions. Where did you get yours?

Thanks a lot,
    Derek

Update:

I finally got around to installing the stereo in my new ride. I ended up ordering the jbl ms620 marine speakers. I actually installed the speakers a few weeks ago, but I did have the time to put the radio in until yesterday.

The recommended crossfire audio speakers looked really nice, but I couldn't find a dealer anywhere near me that had them, nor could I find any online dealers. Plus, the prices I was quoted was about double the jbl's, so I ended up with the jb'ls. I feel these type of speakers are disposable as I don't expect these speakers to survive more than 2 years.

The jbl's 6.5" two way marine speakers. They are made pretty much entirely of plastic (grill, basket, motor cover) so hopefully nothing will rust. The cone and surround appear well made and look like they will survive seeing lots of water. They also came with stainless steel mounting hardware. The crossover is a joke, though. I don't consider a single cap in series with the tweeter a real crossover. We shall see how long that lasts. If I were to do this again, I might consider the bazooka 6.5" marine two ways. They are supposed to have a real crossover.

Installation was a breeze. A 5" hole saw made perfect cutouts in less than 5 minutes in the plastic and aluminum bulkhead where the speakers are installed. For anyone trying to install speakers like this, I highly recommend that you spend the money for the hole saw. Even if you only use it once, it is still worth it.

So, how do they sound? Surprising well given the environment and mounting location. They are installed underneath the front seats and face forward. Certainly not an ideal location, however you can feel the bass in the seats.

The bass is pretty tight. Not at all boomy. The highs are surprisingly clear. Definitely not on par with what I have in my living room, but not a bad substitute. Given the environment that these speakers are in, they will not be driven to ear splitting levels, They seem to do a very good job at normal listening levels. I did crank them up, though, and while they did begin to strain, it wasn't completely painful. I didn't detect any distortion and higher volume levels.

All in all, I would recommend these speakers to anyone looking for inexpensive marine speakers. For $85 they appear to be a great sounding, good looking, durable speaker.

So what did I put them in, you ask? My pimped out nev! Think of it as a stretch golf cart that seats 4 and can go 25 mph (stock). I'm currently working on that last part... []

You can check it out here:

http://www.gemcar.com/htmls/gem_e4.html

This sweet ride has it all! 7 color LED under car lights, custom giant (for a golf cart) 15" wheels with spinners, and now a thumping stereo. And of course, no pimped out ride is complete without naked ladies on the rear fender!

It is a real head turner. I'll post pictures when I get done.

Later,
    Derek

Cool ride!!