Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Sierra over CBM?

Default Re: Why Sierra over CBM?

I just wanted to follow up that I've been communicating with Dave about this via email.

I'll keep the actual specifics private unless Dave would like to post it (if you need my permission at all, you have it!).

The conversation went into the various measurements of the Sierra and the CBM, and Dave explained how to interpret certain parts. It was very educational and far better than "it's better."

Excellent! Hope you got the info you need to make your decision.

For me, turning a sensory-oriented product, such as audio, into a series of measurements is pretty useless to me. Also, taking the enjoyment of listening and turning it into technical measurements, then agonizing over those measurements on how to correct them takes away from that enjoyment. I'm as guilty as the next guy when it comes to wanting the best sound I can buy, but at what point do we just let dead dogs lie and enjoy our equipment?

But, that is the mania we audio nuts share, so keep the upgrades coming!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I love technical details and measurements. While I realize they don't necessarily tell the whole picture, I've always believed that they should tell you something meaningful. Or else why have them?

I got what I wanted to know. I'm still not sure if I fully agree with some the interpretations that Dave made of the measurements, but he's been nothing but forthcoming so I'm inclined to believe him.

Well, I would not feel qualified to dispute Daves' designs. Perhaps someone with equal, or greater experience than his could truly challenge Dave, with the test equipment and data to back it up. Steel sharpens steel. I will humbly take his word as fact.

Bottom line: Enjoy yourself!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default The Cost of Curiosity

How much are you willing to spend to satisfy your curiosity? When the time comes for you to order new speakers, you could order the Sierra's. If you don't think the extra cost provides enough improvement, you'd only be out the cost of freight to send them back for some 170's or 340's.

One thing that sold me on Ascends was the excellent customer support and Dave not automatically upselling me to Sierra's. He thought that 340's and 170's would be the better solution for my new dedicated home theater. I'm using 340's L/C/R, 170's side surrounds and HTM-200's for rear surround in my 7.1 system. I'm very pleased and friends respond enthusiastically to the sound quality.

I think there will be Sierra's in my future, I'm watching for news of the towers.