Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC-13Ultra to a Rythmik?

Default Re: PC-13Ultra to a Rythmik?

Thanks Jonathan...you have heard more Rythmiks than I have, and I have not heard the latest Ultras with the Sledge amp.

Although the FV15HP is less expensive (new) than the PC-Ultra, I agree, swapping would probably not be cost effective, and that the money is better spent at "fixing" the room.
    -curtis

Set up is where the sport aspect of our hobby comes into place. Afterall, we aren't in this only to buy equipment. If you haver been a room with the system dialed in, it will create an unquenchable desire.

Just look at pictures of what some people do. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of gear, crammed into rooms that are acoustical nightmares. The owner is chatting about the latest cable, or component, and rhapsodising over imagined improvements.

Rant over....

B.

Oh...what I'd give for a dedicated room!
    -curtis

Me too. Problem is, I want to hear my music from where I am cooking. I am afraid I wouldn't listen to as much music in a dedicated room.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutarsky View Post
    Me too. Problem is, I want to hear my music from where I am cooking. I am afraid I wouldn't listen to as much music in a dedicated room.
    I'm the same way. My house is pretty small, so when the music is playing in the living room, you can pretty much hear it all over.

OK...a dedicated room with a nice system, in addition to what you have now.
    -curtis

We are lucky to have a great room where I can watch my television and listen to music from the kitchen counter. It is a family tradition to watch football and cook all day. It isn't perfect because the 20 foot ceilings inhale SPL like a whale after Krill. I had monstrous speakers, but the wife got pretty quiet for a year or so. Much more effective than nagging. Wife-Fu.

When we shop for homes, I tell my wife that ALL I want is a room for this purpose. EVERY thing else is her choice. Worked so far. I have agreed to In-wall speakers for our next home. Plus, this gives me a whole new type of audio to explore.

B.

That would work for me as well!
    -curtis

Thanks for the replies, in my case I can just be satisfied with what I have and not feel like I'm compromising. I actually have two SVS subs, the newer PC Ultra with the Sledge amp and an older PB12 Ultra with Bash amp.

I use the brute force room correction capabilities of my Anthem D2, and am very pleased with the results. Like most folks here, I would love a dedicated space with treatments and all (maybe someday).

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Oh...what I'd give for a dedicated room!
    Not trying to rub it in, but I have a dedicated room that I was able to design keeping in mind "golden ratio" measurements. The room tests out well and doesn't require much EQ to straighten out.

I built it up from bare concrete walls and floor, doing the framing, plumbing (there's an adjoining kitchen) electrical, sheetrock and suspended ceiling.

I owned an Infinity 10" servo sub for 25 years. It was a great little sub! I'm using an SVS PB-12 NSD that I like. I'm torn between adding another or going over to Rhythmik.

@DougMac

Now yours is an interesting dilemma!

The SVSound PB12-NSD is a pretty darn good sub at its price point, as you know. There are very few subs at around the same price that are as linear, and deliver the same extension right down to 20Hz. And even as you crank up the volume, the PB12-NSD remains quite linear in its output and extension. It compresses quite a bit less than most subs at its price. The only performance area where you can knock it a tiny bit is in its transient response; particularly on the decay of notes, where it has just a hint of overhang. Now, that is only in comparison to the best subs that are out there! The PB12-NSD does not have "bad" transient response or overhang. Not at all. But if you are looking for one area where it could improve, as compared to the best that is available (typically at a significantly higher price than the PB12-NSD), then that's the one area. The only other slight knock is that the PB12-NSD has pretty much nothing in the way of tuning options. It's got the one port, should not ever be sealed, and has the one 20Hz tuning, with no adjustable filters. If you have a good auto-EQ program that EQs the bass in your room, or a manual outboard EQ, then this is no concern. In smaller rooms though, the room gain on the low end of a very linear and extended sub, like the PB12-NSD, can be quite pronounced, and many auto-EQ programs don't actually EQ the deepest bass (many only EQ down to 63Hz or 32Hz). So it is often nice to have low end filters built into the sub so that you can keep the sum total of the sub's output plus the room gain nice and linear at your seat!

But here's the really tricky part: I have to assume that you're looking to keep the price point roughly the same when you buy this next sub of yours. And it sounds as though you would be buying just one additional sub. So you could either buy a second PB12-NSD, and thus have dual PB12-NSD subs that you could position carefully in order to get the most even, linear bass across multiple seats, with very little seat-to-seat variation; you could buy a Rythmik sub to replace your PB12-NSD; or, you could mix and match, I suppose, with one SVS and one Rythmik - although I don't really recommend mixing and matching, since what you end up hearing is the "worst" aspects of each sub, not the best, ie. the one with slower transient response is the one you hear. The better one always gets "dragged down", rather than the worse one being "helped up"

Personally, because of the price point, and because the PB12-NSD is already a very good subwoofer, I would recommend getting a second one so that you can run duals. Multiple subwoofers is the only way to get the seat-to-seat variation down to an absolute minimum. So that is something you just cannot do any other way!

If you're keeping the price point close, then you'd most likely be considering the Rythmik F12 as the closest price competitor. That sub would give you a slight improvement in the transient response. It's one of the very best in that area! And it gives you more filter controls, although you don't really need them, given that the F12 is a sealed sub with the expected 12dB per octave roll-off that starts up around 40 Hz or so. But there's the rub! The F12 does not have the same ruler flat linearity and extension right down to 20Hz as the PB12-NSD! So you're gaining slightly in one area, but giving up some performance in another. If you enjoy the "blur your vision" and "rattle your teeth" super deep, tactile output that your PB12-NSD can deliver, then you'd be giving that up by moving over to the F12.

Moving up in price can allow you to have the best of both worlds. The SVSound Ultra series subs are some of the best in all aspects of bass reproduction. They really have no weaknesses. Similarly, Rythmik's High Output sealed, and their 15" vented subs go toe-to-toe with the SVS Ultras! But either brand's best subs are considerably more expensive.

So, in your case, you'd be making a trade off. My personal opinion is that the PB12-NSD is already very good in all areas, and adding a second PB12-NSD will give you an improvement that no lone subwoofer, no matter how good, can offer if you were to swap it out.
    Last edited by FirstReflect; 05-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.