Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and opinions on my new 170s and SACD

adding on to what many here have said - best to wait and get a good one rather than get one just for keepsake.
    i don't think it's critical that you get a sub right now. seriously. save up another $150. you'll be glad you did. i promise.

just trying to encourage you to yearn for the hsu. it's worth every penny.

cbm-170s

Chris,

You should see what Craig can come up for you. He might be able to work out a great deal.

-curtis

If Craig can work a deal for you then that is the way to go. If not then I've heard some good comments about the Dayton 10" sub from Parts Express...currently $124 but I've seen e-fliers with it as low as $90. There are better subs for sure but maybe something like this can get you by until cash is more available. I'm in my 40's now but I still vividly remember those lean college years.

On another note...Craig, how about a sub shootout in the super-budget below $175 category? Just a thought.

Randy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Lou-the-dog

I'm in my 40's now but I still vividly remember those lean college years.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Same here! Boy, do I have some stories about pinching pennies.

The only sound system I had in college was a $50 boombox.

-curtis

College years?.....Heck, I just turned 40 and still rob Peter to pay Paul[:I] Maybe I should've gone for that piece of paper after all[!]

Ed

I've got the Dayton 10" and it's much better than anything else I've heard in it's price range but don't expect it to match a Hsu. Saving up is definitely the best advice. I had more money in college than I do now. I didn't have a house and a wife in college. :-&gt;

David

In the same thought, I have been thinking of a "problem" with a subwoofer purchase. Unfortunatly my reciever only has a crossover of 100 or higher, yet I have heard that the ascends work best at 80. Would it be better to use the 100 cutoff or to run the ascends through the sub? (High pass filter?) If the sub is not as high a quality as a hsu, could the sub's own crossover degrade the output quality of the ascends? Does this make sense?

Thanks again,
    Chris

yeah...most like the 80hz crossover the best....but they still sound good crossed at 100hz. The best thing to do is try different settings and configurations to find out what sounds best to you.

-curtis

Randy - I just saw your post about an under $175 shootout... That could be fun. It will be Fall before I would do one, but one thing for sure, the prices would be right...

I could envision a system for my college-bound kids consisting of a pair of 170's, a decent quality entry level receiver and a reasonably musical low dollar sub. Put together properly this would be a very economical performance system that would fit well in a dorm room or small apartment and also be something they can build upon as they get their own cash flow.

On another note, as Dave F. has stated elsewhere, there seems to be alot of Ascend customers running without a sub. I wonder if some might like to add a small sub but are convinced that they need to spend at least several hundred to get desirable results...(and maybe they do.?) A sub shootout in this category might answer some questions and open the doors for some.

Randy