Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and opinions on my new 170s and SACD

i just can't get over the vocal clarity and separation of sonics on these speakers. it's truly amazing. they have solid balanced bass all the way throughout. these are carefully engineered, quality speakers at an unbelievable price point. no bells and whistles to disguise faults in sound like other manufacturers. these are the real deal.
    you'll be okay w/o having a sub for a while.
    sometimes i turn the sub off so i can see where he's coming from i guess. there are some acoustic albums that sound better w/o a sub (or they don't use much of it to even notice). while some albums excel with a sub. so i'd save up until you can at least get something from the STF series. just my opinion at least.

cbm-170s

Ascend 170-Typical In-Room Frequency Response - 63Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB

**** Acoustimess - "Bass" module 46hz-202Hz, satellites 280Hz-13.3K Hz

So for an extra 17Hz on the bottom end you'd take sucky **** sound, a hole between 200Hz and 280Hz, and give up the last 7K Hz of the high end? Oh and pay a whole lot more money?

azanon, it is probably our different tastes in music. The bottom end of the spectrum is more important to you than me.

I have demoed the 170's to a lot of people. Most agree they sound great without a sub, and ofcourse some believe they need a sub.

I would not be willing to give up the balance and clarity of the 170's for ****. If you are willing to take **** because of the added bass, then I can understand how important frequencies below 65hz are to you. It truly is a matter of preference.

-curtis

Yes, i'd rather have the hole in the 200-280hz range. 69-46hz is where all of the rich bass is that gives a beautiful depth to music, and makes movies very engrossing. Yes, reduced sound quality is not worse than the sound simply not being there.

Ultimately, I'm with Ascend and most every other professional reviewer on this one, and per personal experience, I have to recommend one utilize a sub with cbm-170s as they are notabily lacking in the low frequencies.

Azanon,
    Where can you get a **** with a bass module for the price of a pair of 170's with a very good sub? It (****) would still be a joke of a system but I've not seen **** sold in this price range.

David

So I have decided, I am not going to spend more than $150 on a sub, period. I simply do not have enough money. So as it stands, what are your recommendations for a $150 sub, or at this price range, is it best to stay without?

Chris

I'd say wait until you can get a decent sub. Bad bass is worse than too little bass.

keep saving until you can get an STF-1

cbm-170s

Chris - I have a review sample of the STF-1 here. It was only use in a review setting, and is perfect. I could check with Hsu to see if they would give you a break, if you like.

That would be nice, but I really can't spend that kind of money right now, and I'm sure the discount wouldnt be that substantial. The 170's were a stretch for me as it is (College Student) and I am not in a place to go much further right now.

Any opinions on the Velodyne CHT-8 or VX-10?