Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts and opinions on my new 170s and SACD

I will check it out... Parts Express sells a lot of inexpensive gear...

Lou!

Finally someone who understands my situation! The one frustration I have had venturing into the audio world is the constant push, even when I present myself as a college student, to spend more.

The Dayton sub, which I purchased new for $99, is acceptable for HT but I do not use it for music. I have Mission bookshelf speakers that are reasonably flat down to 60hz. There were posters on AVS who found the sub acceptable for music so as with everything else in audio, YMMV.
    There's a Hsu in my near future. It's just a matter if there's five Ascend's to complete the package. I'll save money if I can order it all as a package.

David

David

Chris,

The fact that you chose Ascend CBM's puts you WAY ahead of the crowd in getting an excellent base for a killer sound system IMHO. You spent the money where it counts the most. The beauty of Ascend is that you get audiophile performance AND get to do so at relatively low cost. Congratulations on your choice...now if we can get you a decent sub within your budget. As I read your thread I was taken back to my college years...if only I had CBM's in my dorm at ISU back then... they woulda kicked the @#$% outa anything in the house!!

Randy

Im in the same sitaution as Chris, I posted on a different thread before. I just ordered my 170s, and they should be here next week. As of now im planning on going sans sub. I think i couldprobably stretch and afford an stf-1, btu im thinking it might be worth it to wait till i can get a 2 since in the longer run thats what i will want. thoughts? by the way im using these almost exclusively for music, and employing a technique described in another thread for porting large amounts of digital music to the system in addition to regualr cd audio.

Steve
    smg59[at]cornell[dot]edu

Steve, I think you're making a wise decision waiting until you can get a model 2 sub (btw is that a VTF or STF?). You can still get a "package deal" price using Ascend's "extender" plan if you buy a sub within 45 days of your inital speaker purchase.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ben_Wood

Steve, I think you're making a wise decision waiting until you can get a model 2 sub (btw is that a VTF or STF?). You can still get a "package deal" price using Ascend's "extender" plan if you buy a sub within 45 days of your inital speaker purchase.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks, i was thinking STF, but id be interested for peoples' input. From my reading it sounds like the stf is just as able to accurately produce bass, where as the swithces and such on the VTF allow you to get it to produce more bass (dynamically i mean) with less range if you so choose. Is that correct?
    Personally i dont see myself needing the extra power anytime soon

Steve