Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 340 SE Center Orientation?

Default Re: 340 SE Center Orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. House View Post
    I think it should work well. You are very lucky to have both the ability to try vertical and horizontal configurations. Once you get your speakers, experimenting can't hurt either trying the different placements, in fact that is what it is all about.

Cheers.
    Doc, I do have many options with my HT and music setup, I'm thinking of just buying the 340 center and from that reference I can determine if the 340's are what I want.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm going to purchase the 340's and 340 center. I would very much like to orient the 340 center vertically, would this also be a compromise? Thanks to all who reply.
    Jeff
    I have tried the 340 center in both vertical and horizontal orientation. I think it's better horizontal. I have a front projector and a non at screen. Since my screen is 120" diagonal, placing the center either above or below (like I have it) puts it pretty far from the center line of my L & R 340's. It's not ideal, but not bad.

I've read the arguments against MTM centers. I think some problems are overstated. The 340 SE center sounds fine, we've had friends remark how clear the dialog sounded. By comparison, I have a friend with speakers from that company known for their small, WAF friendly speakers. He turns the sound way up in order to hear the dialog and even then it's not distinct. The only time I've noticed a diminishment in center sound is when I stand WAY off axis, so far I can't really view the image anyway.

I'm not sure ordering just the 340 center would be a fair test, especially if you incorporate it with L&R from another company. I'm a firm believer that all speakers should be from the same company and that the fronts be the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I have tried the 340 center in both vertical and horizontal orientation. I think it's better horizontal. I have a front projector and a non at screen. Since my screen is 120" diagonal, placing the center either above or below (like I have it) puts it pretty far from the center line of my L & R 340's. It's not ideal, but not bad.

I've read the arguments against MTM centers. I think some problems are overstated. The 340 SE center sounds fine, we've had friends remark how clear the dialog sounded. By comparison, I have a friend with speakers from that company known for their small, WAF friendly speakers. He turns the sound way up in order to hear the dialog and even then it's not distinct. The only time I've noticed a diminishment in center sound is when I stand WAY off axis, so far I can't really view the image anyway.

I'm not sure ordering just the 340 center would be a fair test, especially if you incorporate it with L&R from another company. I'm a firm believer that all speakers should be from the same company and that the fronts be the same model.
    Doug,
    you are right, getting just one 340 would surely not reveal what a full front stage of 340's are capable of, I have decided against that and I thank you for suggesting so. I do have the options to try the center in any position I want and will do so and then decide the orientation. Thank you for the insight,
    Cheers, Jeff