Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 340 SE Center Orientation?

Default Re: 340 SE Center Orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    If you raise the TV, you then introduce an ergonomic problem with your head/neck angle when watching TV.....you don't want it to be uncomfortable and have neck problems. The middle to bottom of the TV should fall within eye level when viewing. For some/many, that is a worse compromise than a horizontal center speaker.
    Curtis, I agree, my TV is specificately oriented for optimal viewing as you say, I don't have to move my head up and down, my head is at the middle to bottom with the TV height and seating adjusted accordingly. Could I not build a shorter center speaker stand and angle it so the tweeter would fire at ear level with the vertical orientation of the 340? How good is the 340 center with the circuit you mentioned in the horizontal configuration. I'd appreciate your thoughts on both methods discribed above. Thanks.
    Jeff

We sit on theater seating with recliners. We found that with the center speaker below the TV our feet would block the sound. Putting the center above the TV tilted down towards the seating position worked out much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Curtis, I agree, my TV is specificately oriented for optimal viewing as you say, I don't have to move my head up and down, my head is at the middle to bottom with the TV height and seating adjusted accordingly. Could I not build a shorter center speaker stand and angle it so the tweeter would fire at ear level with the vertical orientation of the 340? How good is the 340 center with the circuit you mentioned in the horizontal configuration. I'd appreciate your thoughts on both methods discribed above. Thanks.
    Jeff
    That would work.

My only concern would be the effects of having the speaker so close to the floor.

The EXBAC circuit does it's job well for compensating the effects of an extended baffle.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by P Seastrand View Post
    We sit on theater seating with recliners. We found that with the center speaker below the TV our feet would block the sound. Putting the center above the TV tilted down towards the seating position worked out much better.
    Thanks P, I do have a center mount for top of TV already that I built, I am considering both options, I really want a vertical orientation though. Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. House View Post
    That would work.
    Thanks Doc, appreciare your input.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    My only concern would be the effects of having the speaker so close to the floor.

The EXBAC circuit does it's job well for compensating the effects of an extended baffle.
    Curtis, I never felt that a horizontal center did justice to center channel information, but then again I have not heard the EXBAC circuit designed 340. If the EXBAC is disengaged at the factory can it be engaged again by me to discern the differences in vertical vrs. horizontal placement.
    Thanks again.
    Jeff

Thanks P, I do have a center mount for top of TV already that I built, I am considering both options, I really want a vertical orientation though. Thanks
    Jeff
    If my math is correct, placing the vertical center on top of the mount you built would be pretty close to matching the height of the mains with no other adjustments. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. House View Post
    If my math is correct, placing the vertical center on top of the mount you built would be pretty close to matching the height of the mains with no other adjustments. Correct?
    DOC, yes it would, according to Jim Smith who wrote the book Get Better Sound which I have and read several times, is all about room acoustics and speaker placement, he is about letting the speakers play the room and not the room playing the speakers! From his instructions I have been able to get fairly decent SQ from my somewhat boxy and boomy mains. He suggests that the center channel speaker be in a vertical position above or below TV, timbre matched and center tweeter be within 18" above or below mains tweeter for a cohesive integration. I use a conventional tweeter woofer center now below my TV which is within the the 18" reference and must say dialogue is crisp and centrally located, so I am thinking this should work very well with three 340's oriented in the same fashion.
    Jeff

DOC, yes it would, according to Jim Smith who wrote the book Get Better Sound which I have and read several times, is all about room acoustics and speaker placement, he is about letting the speakers play the room and not the room playing the speakers! From his instructions I have been able to get fairly decent SQ from my somewhat boxy and boomy mains. He suggests that the center channel speaker be in a vertical position above or below TV, timbre matched and center tweeter be within 18" above or below mains tweeter for a cohesive integration. I use a conventional tweeter woofer center now below my TV which is within the the 18" reference and must say dialogue is crisp and centrally located, so I am thinking this should work very well with three 340's oriented in the same fashion.
    Jeff
    I think it should work well. You are very lucky to have both the ability to try vertical and horizontal configurations. Once you get your speakers, experimenting can't hurt either trying the different placements, in fact that is what it is all about.

Cheers.