Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 340 SE Center Orientation?

Default 340 SE Center Orientation?

Hello,
    I'm going to purchase the 340's and 340 center. I have two questions, how important are the matching pedestal stands for the mains, are they in your opinion essential for the 340's or would there be a compromise in building my own on the same principle? I would very much like to orient the 340 center vertically, would this also be a compromise? Thanks to all who reply.
    Jeff

Default Re: 340 SE Center Orientation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm going to purchase the 340's and 340 center. I have two questions, how important are the matching pedestal stands for the mains, are they in your opinion essential for the 340's or would there be a compromise in building my own on the same principle? I would very much like to orient the 340 center vertically, would this also be a compromise? Thanks to all who reply.
    Jeff
    You might want to inquire to Mr. Fabrikant if there are any differences between the 340 main and 340 center. The 340 center crossover might be tweaked and optimized for horizontal placement and the 340 main for vertical placement. If this is the case the optimal choice would be a 3rd 340 main since you plan to orient the center vertically. It is not a compromise at all. I wouldn't see any issues with making your own stands either, just make sure they are to the preferred height that Ascend suggests for the 340.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dr. House; 11-29-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. House View Post
    You might want to inquire to Mr. Fabrikant if there are any differences between the 340 main and 340 center. The 340 center crossover might be tweaked and optimized for horizontal placement and the 340 main for vertical placement. If this is the case the optimal choice would be a 3rd 340 main since you plan to orient the center vertically. It is not a compromise at all. I wouldn't see any issues with making your own stands either, just make sure they are to the preferred height that Ascend suggests for the 340.

Good luck.
    Thank you Doctor, I did not think to use three 340's as the front stage, that is a very good suggestion, I appreciate your responce. I'm just wondering about the stands, if I could build them for less than the $100 price. Thanks again.
    Jeff

The 340SE "center" that is setup for horizontal placement is indeed tweaked to compensate for the effects when set on top of a TV set. The crossover change is called EXBAC and described here:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...t340ctech.html

If the center is meant to be used vertically, Ascend can disengage this circuit before being shipped to you.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The 340SE "center" that is setup for horizontal placement is indeed tweaked to compensate for the effects when set on top of a TV set. The crossover change is called EXBAC and described here:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...t340ctech.html

If the center is meant to be used vertically, Ascend can disengage this circuit before being shipped to you.
    Thank you Curtis, are you saying on top of TV is the optimal placement, how about below the TV? Also what do you think about three identical 340's across the front using one for a vertical center, or is better to have Dave disengage the EXBAC circuit in the center 340 and use it vertically? Thanks

Thank you Curtis, are you saying on top of TV is the optimal placement, how about below the TV? Also what do you think about three identical 340's across the front using one for a vertical center, or is better to have Dave disengage the EXBAC circuit in the center 340 and use it vertically? Thanks
    A 340SE center without EXBAC is just a regular 340SE.

Above or below the TV doesn't matter. EXBAC compensates for the extended baffle the TV creates, no matter if it is above or below the TV.

If you can accommodate three vertical 340's across the front, that would be ideal. How far is the TV off of the floor?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    A 340SE center without EXBAC is just a regular 340SE.

Above or below the TV doesn't matter. EXBAC compensates for the extended baffle the TV creates, no matter if it is above or below the TV.

If you can accommodate three vertical 340's across the front, that would be ideal. How far is the TV off of the floor?
    Curtis, If I would mount the horizontal center below the TV it would be approximately 3 or 4 inches from the TV stand and the TV is about 8 inches from front edge of stand, so I don't think the TV would be so much an extended baffle, correct me if I'm wrong. I would like to accommodate three vertical 340's across the front, my TV is about 30+ inches off the floor, but I could raise that if necessary. Thanks Curtis for your replies, much appreciated.
    Jeff

From a performance standpoint, generally a matching vertical speaker to your mains is the most ideal for timbre matching and superior off-axis. The irony with centre channels is horizontal speakers are the ones that are usually composed of compromises and provide challenges from a performance standpoint. However, they exist solely because of placement with televisions and of course WAF (wife acceptance factor) .

I would like to accommodate three vertical 340's across the front, my TV is about 30+ inches off the floor, but I could raise that if necessary. Thanks Curtis for your replies, much appreciated.
    If you raise the TV, you then introduce an ergonomic problem with your head/neck angle when watching TV.....you don't want it to be uncomfortable and have neck problems. The middle to bottom of the TV should fall within eye level when viewing. For some/many, that is a worse compromise than a horizontal center speaker.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. House View Post
    From a performance standpoint, generally a matching vertical speaker to your mains is the most ideal for timbre matching and superior off-axis. The irony with centre channels is horizontal speakers are the ones that are usually composed of compromises and provide challenges from a performance standpoint. However, they exist solely because of placement with televisions and of course WAF (wife acceptance factor) .
    I really never liked a horizontal MTM, I agree that there are compromises, some I have no desire to even try, I have a Infinity 162P I use now in a vertical orientation which is not ferfect but handles dialogue very well, much better than my previously MTM horizontal centers that I tried.