Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: NrT Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: NrT Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Happy new year!

Did anyone manage to get the Goo gone to work on the glue of the binding posts?

I've tried to apply it with Q-Tips but it just didn't work very well, Q-Tips just fall apart... And you can't really apply it directly because the bottle won't fit into the speaker... So I just put the speaker facing up and dripped the goo gone on top of the posts, bit messy, but a good layer of goo gone on it.

I applied a layer yesterday, let it sit all night, and this morning checked it, and it seemed to make absolutely no difference Did you need a special Goo Gone? http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/products.aspx They had the Gel one: http://www.magicamerican.com/googone...063ffa1a9.aspx

There was a gunk of glue on top of one binding post, and it wasn't dissolved or anything... Which makes it look to me like this isn't working...
    Alright so something like 40 hours later, after a 2nd Goo gone application, seems to have worked! It did dissolve the glue, it isn't entirely gone, but it's definitely weaker, almost the consistency of chewed gum, which made the removal of the 1st binding post screw possible! One down, three to go! Working inside the cabinet makes things quite harder, if the screw was outside, would have been done in 2 minutes, but in the restricted space, just unscrewing a screw isn't that easy... Well, getting the hand of it now

Edit: So one speaker is done! Sounds great! The woofer and tweeter still need some burn in, but compared to another speaker I had on hand, not even close Can't wait to get the 2nd done! But the thing is, since it seemed like the Goo Gone wasn't doing much, I didn't apply it to the 2nd speaker, and so I just gave the 2nd a 2nd spurt of Goo and will have to wait a couple of hours until it does it job...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 01-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SRW1000 View Post
    I finally had time to upgrade my front three speakers this weekend, and had a few minor issues. and a few questions:

Speaker 1: When removing the leads to the binding posts, I notice that one of the lock washers had split apart. It wasn't very tight (in fact, none of the binding posts were very tight), so I'm not sure how it had broken. I looked to see if there was a comparably-sized washer in my tool box, but no luck. My wife makes chain mail jewelry as a hobby, so she volunteered one of her brass jump rings as a substitute. It seemed to work, but will this be a problem (corrosion)?
    This will not be a problem. There is nothing special about the washers that were used. In fact, a standard external tooth washer is a great replacement.

The next problem was with the small-sized leads from the new crossover to the woofer and NrT tweeter. I could not push either of them on, and had to open them up a little with the tip of a screwdriver. The large ones slipped on just fine. The same was true for the other two upgrades.
    These should be installed on an angle, such that one corner of the connector is installed onto the tab first.

Speakers 2 and 3: These both went pretty much the same. Everything was fine until it was time to install the new crossover. On speaker two, I could not get the back left screw to go down all the way; there was a gap of about 1/8" between the bottom of the screw and the board. I unscrewed the other screws and pulled out the crossover, and tested all the screws in the holes. All of them went down fine, but when I replaced the board, the back screw just would go down all the way.

One speaker number 3, I had the same problem, except the front two screws would not go down all the way. I'm not sure if the holes are slightly out of alignment, or what might be causing the problem. I even made sure that I noted where each position each screw came from, and replaced them with the same exact ones.
    This is the first report of this type of problem and without having us examine the issue directly, there is not much I can offer as to the cause of the problem. That being said, if the crossover board is tight and not vibrating, all is fine If you are concerned, you might try installing a washer in between the top of the screw and the crossover board to make up for the gap you are describing.

Please contact me directly if I can be of any additional assistance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

...all those crossovers...I honestly think I just shed a small tear...(sniff)

I'm late to the game on the nrt upgrade for the Sierra 1's. Is this still available?

Thanks,
    K

Quote Originally Posted by kamaboko View Post
    I'm late to the game on the nrt upgrade for the Sierra 1's. Is this still available?

Thanks,
    K
    Yes -- absolutely still available. In fact, our next shipment of NrT domes are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow

Please give us a call if you would like to order the kits.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com