Ray,

I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences as a new Sierra 1 owner (as am I). A while back, I had to set up my kit in the corner because of the shape of the room, furniture, etc. It was not as near field as your diagram so eloquently explains but more of an isosceles triangle: the entertainment center in the corner set at a 45 degree angle; speakers 10" in front of the plane of the rack and 66" apart; the listening position 78" from the plane of the speakers (and the subwoofer centered in the corner behind the rack - I know common "wisdom" is that low bass notes cannot be localized but it really did make a difference). The result was the most realistic imaging and dynamic presentation I have had in any of my systems (this was three stereos ago). I believe it was because there were no parallel surface reflections, but what do I know? The living room opened up into the breakfast area which connected to the kitchen and both of those areas were separated by a couple arches from the two-story entry hall, which opened up to the game room upstairs (whew!). The configuration as a whole acted as a house-sized megaphone and I could enjoy music from anywhere inside the home.

I have not tried this with my Sierras as of yet (which, by the way, are the best speakers I have ever owned and I have owned my fair share [Wilson Audio, I thumb my nose at thee]). Right now, I am between permanent residences (huzzahs for the economy!) and have my Sierras set up on 18" rickety stools in front of a dresser (my integrated and CD player are on a $7 particle board shoe rack from Walmart) and I listen from the bed in my sister's house. Not the best layout imaginable (the speakers are way too low and off center) but it sounds heavenly! I guess that is the whole point...