Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New receiver

Default New receiver

Looking to get a new receiver.

I have Sierra-1 across the front and HSU sub. I mainly listen to 2 channel music and even movies sometimes prefer 2 channel.

As far as receivers, I was looking at the Yamaha RX-A3000/A1000 vs Onkyo vs ????

Any other suggestions ??outlaw or HK? Emotiva ? what type of set up for emotiva?

Was considering other options just not sure what to look and consider.

Would prefer to keep budget to $1500 or less.

I will watch some movies but mostly will listen to music.

Default Re: New receiver

for $1500 you could pick up a umc-1 for $700, and most of their amps for under 800-900. That would keep you under your budget limit by a few hundred or so, depending on what you go for.
    Last edited by choirbass; 05-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Default Hybrid

If I had your budget, I agree, I'd go with an Emotiva amp with a good A/V receiver with pre-outs as the front end. Read carefully about the Emotiva pre-pro, there seems to be some significant fundamental flaws.

I'm using the Onkyo TX-NR808 and love it. I was watching the 2010 Crossroads Guitar Festival with a lossless audio track last night and remembered just how good it can sound. I was running near reference with no strain. I'm planning on adding Emotiva amps at least for the front, but the Onkyo sounds so good I'm in no hurry. I'm building a HTPC so I can chunk satellite first.

Default Re: Hybrid

yeah...I would also suggest carefully researching the Emotiva pre/pro. IMO, its history does not look good.
    -curtis

So does anyone have personal experience with the ascend speakers and the Yamaha receivers A3000/A2000/A1000? If yes which one receiver/speakers
    How about outlaw? HK?

IF not Emotiva other suggestions in the general budget of $1500 - I do not want to go over $2000 but was trying to keep cost down some.

Outlaw currently has some nice specials pairing their amps with the Marantz SR5005:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/sr5005.html

I would pair them with the HK 3600. Strong processing ability and true/accurate specs even in my personal opinion under-rated in their power. Nothing like a great product that over delivers in power and output vs. stated! Give them some good quality power.

The Aventage line does have the most advanced YPAO calibration program to date and the video upscaling and performance has been highly regarded and tested. Audioholics site has a video with the outcome of their test.

But, to be able to choose with your budget has so many options. A more defined "must have" list of what you want from it is needed for a purchase at this level.

So, what's important to you and your sound?

For that budget I'd consider the Anthem MRX-500 with ARC room correction.

http://hdliving.com/home-technology/...x-500-receiver
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

ARC is

I use a denon avr for my speakers. i like it quite well- though the user interface is kinda wonky, i hardly ever go to it once everything is set. the one thing i should have done is gone with a higher grade model with pre-outs, for one day i may want some emotiva amps. all denon's come with room calculations (audyssey) so if you're into that.. they also claim that all amps are discrete, mine are powered up to 100+ watts a channel, and sound clean.
    i had an harman kardon avr, but it had excessive fan noise, and actually had its own sound coloration; rather warm and laid back a bit-- highs sounded nice though (maybe that could be removed through a setting, idk i returned it). in my opinion it's not suited for anything but a rack in a closet; fan noise is obnoxious when considering what you're doing to begin with, listening to sound..im sure someone will disagree. i will say, the menu system was pretty and easy to use.
    If i had 1500 bucks, i'd get a denon 2 or 3000 series with preouts, and then buy a dedicated amp for 2 channel fun; possibly using the internal denon amps for home theater use surrounds
    Last edited by scape; 05-20-2011 at 01:46 PM.