Thread: Is it recommended to use adhesive putty to stick speaker base to floor?

Default Is it recommended to use adhesive putty to stick speaker base to floor?

I made my own 28" stands for my Sierra-1 speakers. It's got a 4" x 4" square tube (sand filled) and a 12" x 12" wood base. I want to use adhesive putty and stick the base to my wood floor. Is this recommended? I don't want to damage my wood floor and at the same time I want extra protection for my speakers so that a small accidental bump from my children (5 & 7 yrs) won't topple the stand over. How difficult is it to "unstick" the base if I need to do that?

Do you guys have any alternative solutions?

Thanks!

Chris

Default Re: Is it recommended to use adhesive putty to stick speaker base to floor?

I would think earthquake putty should be fine. Not hard to unstick.

Depending on the floors, maybe you could use suction cups?

Are the speakers in an area where they will see a lot of action from the kids?
    Last edited by curtis; 11-15-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    -curtis

Default Re: Is it recommended to use adhesive putty to stick speaker base to floor?

One of the speakers is in the corner so it's relatively safe. The other one is not that exposed either but there's a possibility that it may be in harms way.

Right now, the speakers are about 18 inches away from the back wall. I suppose I can put it closer to the back wall and attached the stand to the wall to secure it - that's another option but I am trying not to put it too close to the wall in the first place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I put thick Felt floor protector disc pads on the bottom of my sand filled stands. I secure the speakers to the stands with Museum Putty.
    This makes it easy to make tiny adustments in speaker position. I have found that even 1/4 inch change in position can affect the sound. My stands have a large base and I don't worry about tipping them over.