Thread: horizontal sierras in non-ideal setup

Default horizontal sierras in non-ideal setup

Hi there,

I picked up three Sierra-1's and four HTM200se's from Ascend last week (thanks Dave and Dina!), with two f12se subs to arrive tomorrow! Sadly, my AVR still hasn't arrived (denon 4311), which is actually good because in the meantime I've been working out the best way to setup the speakers in my non-ideal room. Blame Dave for suggesting I could even attempt this, otherwise I'd have easily settled for some on-walls (boy that would've been simple..!).

I'd just like to ask if my setup idea looks all right. link to picture here. I'm fairly sure I'll be using what are called "cable brackets" to hold up 14-16" shelves off the wall (probably wood, but maybe glass though I am lazy to clean). I'd consider a "floating wall" shelf, however, that would require me making it, since the deepest I've found are exactly 10", not enough for my purposes. Cable brackets:
    http://www.expodesigninc.com/Product...sp?ISBN=CSB75B

The left and right channels will be secured by the cable bracket thingies onto the top beam along the ceiling. The center channel is the problem - the left bracket thing will be in a stud, however, the right one will be a toggle bolt (look these up on google, apparently they are very strong with drywall?). I'm not too keen on this, however...

Studs are represented by the blue tape-dots along the wall, the sierra speakers are the blue boxes, and the black horizontal electrical tape represents the shelves. The vertical tape on the shelves are the generic plane of placement for the cable bracket thingies.

Look okay? No problem with having the center closer to the tv as is? Any better ideas? I'm not a fan of the various mounts like omni or pinpoint. One thought was to nudge the TV to the left by about 1-2", which might then allow me to put the cable brackets for the center into the two studs. But then the tv will look strange as it won't be centered in the room.... ! It's bad

Thank you for any input!
    Jano

PS: the picture is here:
    http://jano.smugmug.com/photos/1065893729_d7RPe-O.jpg
    Last edited by jano; 10-27-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Default Re: horizontal sierras in non-ideal setup

That room does look like a challenge. Will you be able to angle the speakers downward toward your listening position?

BK

BK, thanks for the response. I've finished it using cable shelf brackets, just need to paint a few things. Will post results when done It worked out well beyond what I was expecting, too!

I just received my sierras and I am having to set my speakers up almost identically to what you have in the pictur. My l/r speakers are about 8 feet apart and about 7 feet high placed horizontally. Is it advised to rotate the tweeter 90 degrees for the left and right speaker for a set up like this? This is also for a ht if it matters with 3 sierras up front and 2 htm200s as surrounds. Any input is appreciated. Thanks , Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bnrbeseth View Post
    I just received my sierras and I am having to set my speakers up almost identically to what you have in the pictur. My l/r speakers are about 8 feet apart and about 7 feet high placed horizontally. Is it advised to rotate the tweeter 90 degrees for the left and right speaker for a set up like this? This is also for a ht if it matters with 3 sierras up front and 2 htm200s as surrounds. Any input is appreciated. Thanks , Brad
    If you plan on using the Sierra-1 horizontally, we do recommend rotating the tweeters 90 degrees...

Enjoy!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

WAY overdue update (little voer 2 years to the day), but, for purposes of closing this out, wanted to share. My setup is anything but ideal, it is what I have to work with. I found some hanging wire supports at the container store, and temporarily stuck MDF shelves in place. Since I'm so close to the beach, they soak up water, warp, and bend rather quickly. Took 2 years for a friend to build me some shelves using marine-grade plywood in the center, then attached some nice pine along the edges.

Funny, just noticed I never removed the plastic wrap from the subs... hahaha

20131127_110451_resized.jpg

20131127_105918_resized.jpg

20131127_105846_resized.jpg

Cozy room!

Thanks for sharing.
    -Jacob