Thread: Looking to add a second Rythmik sub

Default Looking to add a second Rythmik sub

I have a Rythmik E15HP. It is over 10 years old and still thumping. I would like to add a second one of the same model due to some changes we have made around the house. It looks like the amps and configuration options are a bit different from the version I have. I am OK with the differences and plan (hope) to use room correction and EQ to smooth out any issues. My question is can I connect my the two E15’s together, perhaps in a daisy chain or do I have to explore some other option for running the two subs together? I can’t tell from photos of the current E15HP whether it has a line out, but my E15 has a line out on the amp and my plan would be to use that to connect to the new sub. For folks that have made this work, I’d love to hear from you as I’d like to order the new one from Ascend with some other goodies to be announced this weekend. Thanks!

Default Re: Looking to add a second Rythmik sub

Quote Originally Posted by malaplace View Post
    I have a Rythmik E15HP. It is over 10 years old and still thumping. I would like to add a second one of the same model due to some changes we have made around the house. It looks like the amps and configuration options are a bit different from the version I have. I am OK with the differences and plan (hope) to use room correction and EQ to smooth out any issues. My question is can I connect my the two E15’s together, perhaps in a daisy chain or do I have to explore some other option for running the two subs together? I can’t tell from photos of the current E15HP whether it has a line out, but my E15 has a line out on the amp and my plan would be to use that to connect to the new sub. For folks that have made this work, I’d love to hear from you as I’d like to order the new one from Ascend with some other goodies to be announced this weekend. Thanks!
    I'm not sure about daisy-chaining them together but I would suggest using a y-splitter if your amplifier doesn't have two sub-outs.
    Nate

Or, if budget permits, look into either a miniDSP (+REW & a UMIK) or dSpeaker Antimode (8033 would suffice). The former is great for tweaking but there is a learning curve. The latter is plug & play. FWIW, I use both in my system - the miniDSP for HT, the dSpeaker for 2 channel

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I'm not sure about daisy-chaining them together but I would suggest using a y-splitter if your amplifier doesn't have two sub-outs.
    yep, this! (this is what the manuals suggest, pretty sure)

while I do have two LFE outputs, I just let my usual Marantz/Audyssey built-in room EQ deal with mine and it sounds great, a bit more power but also nice to not think of the bass from coming from one particular spot, regardless of what people say of bass not sounding like it does, it does

I'll throw my experience into the ring.....

I have a 12" sealed Rythmik sub in my 2 channel setup that I DIY'd back in 2008-2009. I purchased the woofer & amp as a kit from them and had an enclosure built, them simply assembled everything. This was before Rythmik teamed up with Ascend. I purchased a new F12 sub last year to add to my 2 channel setup in order to remove some serious dips in the freq response in the sub region. Amps are different in configuration, but that is not an issue. I purchased a MiniDSP 2x4HD and UMIK-1, and using REW I was able to get the subs to play nicely together with proper EQ via the MiniDSP. I run one RCA out from the preamp into an input on the miniDSP, the two RCA's out from that to each sub. Granted, I am using a Parasound P6 pre that has separate HI & LOW pass filters with adjustable cutoffs, So I can filter the bass out from my Sierra-2EX's while sending just bass frequencies to the MiniDSP, that way there is no extra conversion between the pre and Sierra's.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables