Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: New TV advice for me

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,192

    Default New TV advice for me

    So we mainly talk about audio/speakers on this board, but I will switch to video...

    I have been wanting a new TV for a while. I currently have a 5 year old or so Epson RP-LCD. So anything I get now is going to have a much better picture...no brainer. Those that have been to my place know what I mean.

    I am trying to decide between a Panny Plasma...58" S1 or a 54" G20/G25, or a Vizio 553 LED/LCD.

    My room has a large window to the left side, and can get a lot of light during the day. It's a nice window, so I will not always going to be apt to close the shades. The Epson is pretty reflective, so again, the Pannys or Vizio will be better with reflections regardless.

    I know the plasmas will have a better picture in the overall scheme of things. I would like to take power consumption into consideration, and the set will be used later for occasional PC/HTPC use and some gaming.

    OK...so what do you think?
    -curtis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of Cleveland
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Your correct that you still can't beat the picture quality of a plasma. I would stay with the Panny G20 or G25 they provide a much more accurate picture. The only way I would recommend a LCD to anyone is if they have a uncontrolable ambiant light problem and if that was the case LCD is the better fit. Plus keep in mind your off axis viewing suffers with a LCD.

    Samsung and LG make some nice LED LCD's. I have had some customers buy Vizio's and they died within 2 years so they aren't very high on my list. LG's picture quality and reliablity has really improved over the last couple of years plus they really calibrate up nice with day and night modes so it would take your ambiant lighting out of the equation. The same with upper model Samsung's have a very nice picture and calibration features. I like Toshiba better than Sony but neither make the top of my list for a accurate picture.

    If you can find any Pioneer's still around I would jump on one of those, the price will be higher but worth it IMO.

    Yes I also remember some years back and discussion on this site about ISF calibration if it was worth it or not. The improvement can be dramatic with the right calibrator and television. Is calibration for everyone...no, only for people that enjoy a accurate picture.
    Jeff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Nice response, Jeff! After watching a 58" Panny S2 plasma for about 3 weeks now, I must say that the picture stomps our 42" Sharp Aquos LCD set. When I watch the LCD set now it looks a little washed out due to inferior contrast and grayish black levels compared to the plasma. I don't know if it is possible, but maybe try to work out an in-home trial comparing the plasma vs. LED-LCD. Plus, I watched "9" on Bluray in 24p, which the Sharp could not do, so that may have further improved the picture.
    Ed

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,192

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Well...Costco has the 90 day no question return, and a one of the warehouses near me has both(they did last week) the 54G20 and the Vizio 553.
    -curtis

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,513

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Well, then............whadaya waitin' for?!!

    Just watched some TV this evening and loving the picture!
    Ed

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of Cleveland
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Well...Costco has the 90 day no question return, and a one of the warehouses near me has both(they did last week) the 54G20 and the Vizio 553.
    Well that is a great deal go with the G20.
    Curtis make sure the build date is 2010. The G20 had some reported black issues in 2009 builds that where corrected in 2010.
    Jeff

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southeast of Cleveland
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Nice response, Jeff! After watching a 58" Panny S2 plasma for about 3 weeks now, I must say that the picture stomps our 42" Sharp Aquos LCD set. When I watch the LCD set now it looks a little washed out due to inferior contrast and grayish black levels compared to the plasma. I don't know if it is possible, but maybe try to work out an in-home trial comparing the plasma vs. LED-LCD. Plus, I watched "9" on Bluray in 24p, which the Sharp could not do, so that may have further improved the picture.
    Thanks Ed.
    The better the blacks the better the picture for sure. There are shootouts held for TV's just none around here but plasma's still win. When you get over 150 hours on the Panny you should let me work some magic on it!
    Jeff

  8. #8

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    The new G20/G25 plasmas have much better anti-reflective screens.
    I don't see any reflections on my 50" G25 and that's in a room where I would see reflections on a 5 year old rear-LCD with one of those icky silk-screen-effect-inducing anti-reflective screens.


    Mitch

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,192

    Default Re: New TV advice for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
    The new G20/G25 plasmas have much better anti-reflective screens.
    I don't see any reflections on my 50" G25 and that's in a room where I would see reflections on a 5 year old rear-LCD with one of those icky silk-screen-effect-inducing anti-reflective screens.
    That's pretty much my situation.
    -curtis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •