Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have new DVD-A/SACD player coming in Thursday

Read the rest of that thread.....

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...0&pagenumber=3

-curtis

I called Pioneer. The firmware update for the 563a is available locally(for me). I called the service center and was told it is free for units under warranty. I asked about the bass management settings and if the upgrade corrected this. They said it should fix any problems which are related to this unit....I'm very skeptical! I haven't really tried any of the reported DVD-A titles that were not playing correctly. Heck, I have not tried ANY DVD-A's at all! I just want the bass management to work properly so I don't have to buy an I.C.B.M. from Outlaw. If the upgrade addresses this, I'll take the player in next week, but I don't trust that the tech on the phone really knew if it did.
    OY-VEY!!!

Ed

Well....the bass management issue is not "improper"...so I doubt it is "fixed".

Did they say how long it takes for them to update the firmware? No way to do it yourself?

-curtis

Yeah, I don't think the bass settings would change either. I did not ask how long it takes, but only authorized service centers can perform the update. They must have a disc they insert to "re-program" the unit which is not available to the consumer. Have you encountered any DVD-A discs which would not play? Some of the titles mentioned were from Steely Dan, Neil young and several others using a newer authoring format.

Ed

Nope, I have not had a problem yet. (knock-wood)

-curtis

"Read the rest of that thread....."
    The only thing i saw was 2 opinions from individuals that dont work for Pioneer, thus dont override what they said. I seriously doubt he pulled that specific guidance out of his ass.

True, but according to what Pioneer rep wrote, there is no way to turn bass management off...and that would be a first....and just wrong.

-curtis

Ouch!! I've read that the video performance has been improved, but nothing regarding bass management from any tests. I've noticed that it takes much longer to cue up discs than my Panasonic A310 took. I also miss the "bouncing ball" screen saver of the Panasonic. The Pioneer did play two DVDs from the library with no problem. I'm sure at least one of them would have made the Panny freeze up. So I guess I really can't complain.

Ed

"True, but according to what Pioneer rep wrote, there is no way to turn bass management off...and that would be a first....and just wrong."

Where did he say you could turn off bass management? (rhetorical, he didnt). He said there is no bass management for SACD, but by that he simply meant that there's only one hardwired selection, a crossover at 80hz, and toggling the large/small option will not alter this. Yes, technically speaking, having even just one crossover point is having bass management, but this is just a semantics issue.

Sounds like the 578 crosses over exactly where us ascend owners want it too.

The only problem i've noted so far which may be with the 578, is i cant get it to play my faith hill DVD-A correctly. What it does is when it gets finished playing any track, as soon as the next track starts, it sounds like garble. However, if i hit the back arrow (which starts that track at the beginning), it plays fine until it gets to the next song.

It doesnt do this on the two SACD's i have. I guess i'll have to pick up a second DVD-A and see if its just that faith hill DVD-A, or all DVD-A's that its doing that on.

Azanon