Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Have new DVD-A/SACD player coming in Thursday

Azanon,

You have the unit....for DVD-A, is there a way to turn off bass management, or just set the speakers to large or small? According to the Pioneer rep, setting it to large puts the crossover at 80hz, small at 120hz. And what are the possible settings for SACD? From reading the Pioneer rep's statement, it seems that the setup for SACD and DVD-A is different...can you confirm that?

-curtis

>There are no separate bass management settings for DVD-A and SACD. The "bass management" section for the player is in a category of its own and thus (assumed) to apply to all analog 5.1 music. Its just called speaker settings, or something to that effect.

>The only separate DVD-A and SACD settings on the player are where you tell it whether to output the sound in analog 5.1 or via the inferior analog L/R output mode (forgot what that's called).

>There is no way to "turn off bass management", unless by that you mean can you disable the sub. If that's what you mean, yes, you can select "no" on the subwoofer, and naturally all low frequencies will be outputted to the respective speakers. Of course the .1 bass would be lost and not outputted.

>But yeah, going by what that rep said, apparently the large/small settings only apply to DVD-A.

So it appears that what you see on the player does not reflect the Pioneer rep's information. Correct?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But yeah, going by what that rep said, apparently the large/small settings only apply to DVD-A<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    The rep said you can turn off bass management for SACD. How is that accomplished? "no bass management is available on SACD in accordance with the "red book" specifications"

By turning bass management off, I mean is there a way to run the speakers full range with .1 output? SACD's and DVD-A's specifically have .1 output in the mix.

-curtis

It's probably a standard setup....choose "Large" and the bass is routed to the mains, no sub. Choose "Small" and the set crossover point directs bass below the x-over to the sub. The big question is what is the true x-over for SACD vs. DVD-A?

Ed

I think you are right Ed.

It is just that the Pioneer rep said when set to large, the DVD-A crossover is 80hz.....which doe not seem right.

-curtis

the .1 is going to be there whether you set to large or small in speaker setup. large vs small bass management doesnt alter the LFE channel.

Going by my own ear, it sounds like when I have the 578 on large, all the bass intended for the 5 speakers is sent to the mains. With it set to small, its sounds full and rich again (the sub is obviously doing something). So my guess is yes, the rep is wrong, and "large" means what it does everywhere else; the full range of sound is sent to the mains. The "small" setting is clearly superior.

As for where the crossover is, i dunno, but i can tell you the DVD-A is notably better than the dolby digital version of the same track. The SACD's are also stunning.

Glad you are enjoying it!!

-curtis

Well, I actually had a chance to "listen" to my system over the weekend, and was very pleased. I played my one and only SACD, Peter Gabriel's Shaking the Tree(thr title track is really interesting and full of big drums!)along with some Rippingtons. The SACD resolution is definitely nice, but the crossover point through the 563a being at 120hz leaves the bass a lot looser than I'd like, bordering on tubby. In contrast, the regular CD through the digital connection allowed the Outlaw's bass management to work, and actually gave a tighter sound which I preffered. I could compare the Peter Gabriel SACD to my copy of "So" using the same cuts duplicated on both, and like the hi-rez stuff sans-the-bass! Kate Bush never sounded so good!!

Ed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The SACD resolution is definitely nice, but the crossover point through the 563a being at 120hz leaves the bass a lot looser than I'd like, bordering on tubby<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I sure am glad they adjust the crossover on SACD to 80hz on the 578 then!