Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have new DVD-A/SACD player coming in Thursday

azanon,

does your receiver have 5.1 analog inputs and apply bass management to them? Do you have six rca cables to hook up the player? It is an additional expense people overlook. Hooked up properly and with good bass management, DVD-A's and SACD definitely sound better than DD5.1 and DTS.

Anybody know what the difference is between the 536 and 578 besides 42?

-curtis

Curtis, do you mean 563? I just looked up the 578 at Crutchfield and the pictures of it are actually of the 563! The only thing that stuck out from the spec's was the video: 103mhz, 12 bit processing(I believe). Unless they changed the bass management as well, I could not see any other differences.

Ed

oops...yeah....563....so I guess the difference is 15.

Would be nice if they made the bass management better....I'd even settle for just a 80hz global crossover.

-curtis

Me too! You would think that would be easy enough to implement. I also noticed that the 578 does NOT do native DTS decoding, but incorporates WMP playback, though I have no idea what that is!

Ed

WMP I believe is Windows Media Player.

I would not mind if the players give up DTS or DD decoding since all of that stuff is handled at the pre/pro or receiver now.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">does your receiver have 5.1 analog inputs and apply bass management to them? Do you have six rca cables to hook up the player? It is an additional expense people overlook. Hooked up properly and with good bass management, DVD-A's and SACD definitely sound better than DD5.1 and DTS.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh yeah i forgot about that; the hookup being different. From the outset, it seems odd to me that SACD/DVD-A wouldn't just use the digital hookup. I do have 5.1 analog inputs, but (without pulling out my manual) seem i vaguely recalled SACDs/DVD-A players only took a stereo, type connection (red/white)?

I have just a cheap 200 dollar sony receiver, albeit this year's model, so the bass management will just be one "hardwired" choice. I'm assuming by "bass management" you mean the built-in crossover point? Sony uses a 100hz crossover in their base model receivers and I guess that's ok for my VTF-2, though its a tad on the high side. (though supposedly a VTF-2 can handle up to 100hz).

What Curtis is getting at, and I found out the hard way with my Outlaw 1050, is that most receivers of the budget variety do not apply ANALOG bass management to their 5.1 inputs. All SACD/DVD-A players send a decoded signal via 5.1 outputs requiring connection through the 5.1 inputs on the receiver. You must rely on the players ability to apply proper bass management BEFORE it gets to the receiver. The 563a I have does not do this the way I need it to. You should try to determine what the crossover points are for SACD vs. DVD-A. You may need to purchase an Outlaw ICBM-1 bass controller like I am in need of.

Ed

Ed is right.

On the 563a, the crossover points for DVD-A and SACD are VERY high....I forget the actually numbers. That is why I was wondering if they changed it with the new 578.

-curtis

Mag Neato, I "borrowed" this from a post at AVS, poster was "ovation"

"Almost any player that performs Bass Management internally does so "digitally". Analogue BM, applied after the D/A conversion in the player, is mainly desirable to avoid an additional layer of A/D/A, not because digital is inherently bad. Everyone wants their player to have a hi-res digital link to the receiver for bass management performance, which, for those cases where it is happening (Pioneer Elites, Denon, and a few others) is digital."

The 578 does digital bass management. Though i'm definitely no expert on this, this sounds like a picky audiophile issue that probably wont amount to much of an issue in the end listening experience.

I'll make sure and hook it up right, but i'm not crazy about needing more cables. Ok so a question about that; do i need "special" 5.1 cables or can i just use 6 red/white RCA cables i have right now? I dont see why not, but if there's a problem with that, let me know, ok?

Azanon

"On the 563a, the crossover points for DVD-A and SACD are VERY high"

Long as it isnt above 100hz, i can deal with it, and so can my VTF-2. Even if its slightly above that, i'll still get "some sound" going to the main speakers as crossovers arn't a "fine-line cutoff"