Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recievers with Ascends

Metalarron - I'm definately liking the prices of the used HK's I'm seeing around.

But, I am getting worried about the audio dropout issue talked about at avs - has anyone over here had any problems like this?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=344476

azanon - I do agree with you, I'll defiantely be spending most of my money on the speakers, but I'm getting that "feature creep/price creep" feeling where I keep saying...oh what's another $50....and oh...that one's only another $100..hehe. I've been finding myself looking at pricier HKs :P

Ed - I think the new Outlaw is going to be out of my pricerange, as great as the unit sounds. It does make me drool....

Well, in summary I'm liking the look of a used Outlaw 1050, or a refurb HK 230 (maybe 330?). Now, I have to figure out the differences between them. I am worried about the HK audio problems, but I'm in the middle of reading about it right now. Does anyone have any comment on that avs thread?

The dropout "issue" of the HK's is not really an "issue" per-se, since all HK's do this. It's really more of an annoying quirk. When switching from a non-dolby stream to a dolby stream the audio mutes for a second or two, then "locks" on to the new stream and comes back.

-Tim

I used to use an HK 525 and I think the "dropout" issue is blown way out of proportion.

It happens as Tim states.....it takes no longer than 2 seconds to lock on to the new stream.

It also happens on few CD's if you are using the digital connections, the reason being some CDs have no digital information inbetween tracks. I only have one CD where this was a problem.

-curtis

Okay, so after some reading I think I understand. This issue is more of a quirk as you said curtis, and not so much a flaw or problem. I think that I could probably live with it, and it sounds like HK is going to update and upgrade the AVRs to shorten this "muting" anyway.

Well, as a small update here's my list at the moment of recievers worth investigating:
    Onkyo TX-SR502
    Harman Kardon AVR 230
    Outlaw 1050

Anyone have any comments on the Onkyo? It seemed to have some fans at HTSpot....

I use an Integra DTR-5.3 with mine (6.1 channel) and I love it. In case you don't know, Integra is the high end Onkyo. I had a Sony DE995 that I returned the day after I bought it then replaced it with the Integra and the difference was like night and day. You can't go wrong with Integra/Onkyo. Just my $.02 of course []

Todd