Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me choose the right Ascend speakers.

Default Please help me choose the right Ascend speakers.

Hello. Nice to meet you all.

The challenge -- Finding the right 5.1 speaker system for a small bedroom space (9 x 11) completely sealed off except for the entrance door. I also have a relatively small budget. I've decided on a sub, the HSU STFU-2, and I will be purchasing a new receiver soon, probably a Denon.

So I need advice on what combination of 5 Ascend speakers will be best for my space. My system will be used for everything, with time being split about evenly. 1/3 Movies and TV. 1/3 Gaming. 1/3 Music.

Here are my questions....

-- Would 5 HTM-200 SE be enough for a good overall experience in that small room? (Those would be perfect for wall mounting in this situation to save space)

-- How significant an upgrade would adding a pair of CBM-170 SE as front L/R be? (Maybe it's just male ego, but I feel the need to have something a little beefier up front that the HTM-200.)

-- Is there any reason NOT to upgrade the fronts to CBM-170 SE? I realize they are rear-ported, and my space is limited, but I could put them on stands about 6-8 inches from the wall behind them. Would that be enough room to not interfere with the port doing it's thing?

-- If I did upgrade my front L/R to CBM-170, would I need to also upgrade to the CMT-340 SE for center channel to have a good match? Would a HTM-200 center be overpowered by the CBM-170 L/R?

Obviously getting 5 HTM-200 SE would be the least expensive. But getting a pair of CBM-170 SE as my fronts would only be $70 more, and that seems like money well spent. Am I right about that? I'm just worried that I will then need to spend more money on the center channel too, for a proper match.

Any advice, suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - I'm not cheap. I'm just poor. There's a difference.

Default Re: Please help me choose the right Ascend speakers.

Considering the small size of the room, I would say the 200s combined with the stf-2 would sound fantastic. That being said, if you went with the 170s for the left and right you could also do another 170 for the center. I had that setup with a HSU sub for a long time.

In that small of a room the 200's would be great. I have a friend who has a larger room and went with 4 200's in the corners and a 340 for the center channel. He's mostly HT so having a strong center was important for him. If you really feel that you must go "bigger" then I would consider upgrading the center first and then maybe the fronts. Anything more than the 200's would be major overkill for the surrounds.

Default HTM 200's

Welcome to the forum Allen!

I own all three speakers you are considering, the 200's, the 170's and the 340's. I consider the HTM-200's amazing speakers and I think they'll do just fine in your situation.

While I was building my home theater, I used the HTM-200's to listen to music while I worked. They filled up an area much larger than you have and sounded great even without a sub. I also used them in my great room, comparing them to my Boston Acoustics CR9's (2 way with 8" woofers). When used with a sub, I thought the 200's blended better with the sub and actually sounded better, even when turned up loud.

My 200's now serve as back surround in my 7.1 setup, with 340's L/C/R, and170's as surround. When used with your sub, I don't think the 170's would bring much more to the table. The sealed design of the 200's may give you a little more flexibility in your situation. My recommendation: 200's all around.

In addition to the Denon, you might want to check the new Onkyo TX-SR608. It's getting a lot of good reviews.

Guys, thank you very much for taking the time to post. It really does help me.

So you all seem to think the 200's would be fine. That's great news for my budget.

I think subconsciously I was hoping you would say that I needed the bigger speakers. It's weird, thinking about stuff on a 'smaller' and 'less' powerful scale. So often it seems to be the opposite.

But with a room so small, it could easily get crowded with bigger speakers, plus they wouldn't have the space needed to perform at their best. I know I should keep myself from getting carried away here, and buying more than I need. And I know you guys are probably right. I should stick with the smaller 200's.

Still.. it feels unnatural to be thinking this way. Damn it. lol
    Last edited by Allen Zimmer; 07-19-2010 at 07:36 AM.

Get a pair of each and see if the difference is significant enough for you in your space.

Also keep in mind that the 170's will need at least a little space behind them due to the rear port.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-19-2010 at 08:44 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Zimmer View Post
    Guys, thank you very much for taking the time to post. It really does help me.

So you all seem to think the 200's would be fine. That's great news for my budget.

I think subconsciously I was hoping you would say that I needed the bigger speakers. It's weird, thinking about stuff on a 'smaller' and 'less' powerful scale. So often it seems to be the opposite.

But with a room so small, it could easily get crowded with bigger speakers, plus they wouldn't have the space needed to perform at their best. I know I should keep myself from getting carried away here, and buying more than I need. And I know you guys are probably right. I should stick with the smaller 200's.

Still.. it feels unnatural to be thinking this way. Damn it. lol
    I think you would be better off with your own inclination to use CBM170 as main L/R and use HTM200s for center and surrounds. If you get five 200s, the thought of upgrading the fronts will always be on your mind. You've already convinced yourself that the upgrade of $70 ($35 per speaker) is well spent and you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Zimmer View Post
    -- Is there any reason NOT to upgrade the fronts to CBM-170 SE? I realize they are rear-ported, and my space is limited, but I could put them on stands about 6-8 inches from the wall behind them. Would that be enough room to not interfere with the port doing it's thing?
    I'll answer this. From what Dave as said in the past, 6-8 inches will be enough room behind the rear port.

Steven has encouraged you to go with the 170's. Steven, have you compared the two? Allen remember my recommendation comes from owning and comparing both speakers.

If the $70 more is insignificant and you think that you'll be happier with the 170's, go for it. Both are fine speakers and I think you'll be happy either way.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I'll answer this. From what Dave as said in the past, 6-8 inches will be enough room behind the rear port.

Steven has encouraged you to go with the 170's. Steven, have you compared the two? Allen remember my recommendation comes from owning and comparing both speakers.

If the $70 more is insignificant and you think that you'll be happier with the 170's, go for it. Both are fine speakers and I think you'll be happy either way.
    I own the 200s (used as surrounds) and have heard the 170s but not compared the 2 back-to-back. The 170s seemed to have a fuller sound and seemed more capable as main speakers - based on 2CH music.

My recommendation to Allen was emotionally based since he has already convinced himself. I think the $70 will prevent "buyers remorse"!

Quote Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post
    I
    My recommendation to Allen was emotionally based since he has already convinced himself. I think the $70 will prevent "buyers remorse"!
    Agreed!