Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help me choose the right Ascend speakers.

Default Re: Please help me choose the right Ascend speakers.

I'm fairly certain that's more than kosher. Go ahead!
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Zimmer View Post
    Hey guys,

Would it be considered proper to ask how these speakers compare to a model from a competing brand?

I don't want to start any trouble.
    I don't think Dave will mind. I've seen him discuss competing brands on other forums, extolling their virtues. He's (a) confident in his products and (b) mature enough he's not going to sell to every person who is intrerested.

If we've heard the contender, we'll try to be as objective in our response as possible.

I had narrowed down my choice to Ascends and another brand, also sold internet direct. Pricing, specs and reviews but them pretty much neck and neck. I had a chance to buy a used pair of "classic" HTM-200's at a good price. I felt that they would represent the audio philosophy of Ascend and if I liked the way they sounded, I'd probably like the sound of the other models. This proved to be true. I had planned to order and audition both manufacturers, but based on how much I liked the HTM-200's, I just ordered the Ascends. After just a few days of listening, there was no thought of using the 30 day return policy.

Ok then...

Quick recap -- Small room. 9 X 11. Need smallish 5 speaker system to mate with SVU STF-2 subwoofer. Used for everything; movies, music and video games... and LOTS of each!

Since the surround speakers play a minor role overall, and since each company below has a nice, small, affordable pair of surround speakers that will fit my needs, let's focus our attention on the front three speakers.

Further, let's assume all three front speakers are the exact same model. 3x match.

How would a front trio of Ascend CBM-170 SE compare to a trio of these other models.

Axiom M3 >> http://axiomaudio.com/m3.html

Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 >> http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...oMonitor%20800

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks guys.

The Axiom M3, while a good speaker, IMO is not in the same class as the CBM-170SE. The Ascend has a more balanced and cleaner sound. In the Axiom line-up, to get to a comparative level as the 170SE for sound quality, you have to step up to the M22. Over the years, there have been handful of comparisons between the two.

I have no first hand experience with the Def Techs.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Zimmer View Post
    Ok then...

Quick recap -- Small room. 9 X 11. Need smallish 5 speaker system to mate with SVU STF-2 subwoofer. Used for everything; movies, music and video games... and LOTS of each!

Since the surround speakers play a minor role overall, and since each company below has a nice, small, affordable pair of surround speakers that will fit my needs, let's focus our attention on the front three speakers.

Further, let's assume all three front speakers are the exact same model. 3x match.

How would a front trio of Ascend CBM-170 SE compare to a trio of these other models.

Axiom M3 >> http://axiomaudio.com/m3.html

Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 >> http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...oMonitor%20800

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks guys.
    The two listed above (Axiom M3 and DT 800) don't seem to be comparable speakers. The DT is listed as a satellite speaker made for wall hanging at only 4 lbs each. The M3 is probably a fair competitor to the 170 - although Curtis suggests otherwise and he is likely correct.

Since both Axiom and Ascend offer in home trials, the only way to answer this is to order both, listen, keep the winner and return the loser.

You'll drive yourself crazy comparing A to B, then considering C while maybe adding D,E,F,G......to the mix.

Here is an old school decision tool. When comparing similar products, most all else equal, choose the heavier of the two. In this case, the 170 = 14 lbs,. the M3 = 12.7 lbs.

One thing to note, the M3 has a rise in the FR in the bass region to give the impression of deeper bass response(even though the 170SE has deeper extension). While it changes the balance of the speaker, this is something consider if you do not plan on using a subwoofer.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-20-2010 at 09:20 AM.
    -curtis

Default Ascend vs Def Tech vs Axiom

I have not heard Def Techs or Axioms.

Axioms were on my short list. I read tons of reviews, mostly good. I think if you read enough reviews, though, you'll notice some things written "between the lines". There was a common theme about Axioms being "bright", which translated into being harsh and fatiguing for me.

I notice that both the Def Tech and Axioms use metal tweeters. Metal tweeters have the reputation of being bright and aggressive, but I think it has more to do with execution than construction materials. PSB uses metal tweeters and they are regarded as being very smooth in the top end (I've heard PSB's and they are very nice speakers). I've read some comments from Def Tech owners describing them as bright.

I find the Ascends to have a very articulate top end without being overly bright. You can listen for hours without fatigue.

A lot has to do with your tastes. I prefer a neutral speaker and that's what Ascends are famous for. I listen to a fair amount of "classical" music and it sounds terrific on Ascends, very balanced. We watched "Immortal Beloved" the other night, which is a fantasy about Beethoven's life. It was heavy with his music Everything from "Moonlight Sonata" to the finale of the 9th symphony sounded gorgeous. I also use a blu ray of a Heart concert to demo my system to friends. I crank up their rendition of "Black Dog" and it never fails to impress. My friend who spent a wad on Klipsch speakers listened to the Ascends ane remarked: "Now I have a serious case of speaker envy!". I didn't have the heart to tell her she probably spent more than I did!

Hey everyone,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback and advice. I really do appreciate it. I'm letting everything 'sink in' for a while before making a decision. I will update soon, hopefully with early impressions and photos etc.

You guys are OK.