Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Default Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The tweeter is the same NrT tweeter. Dave currently only has two of them for testing, so he and Sal had to swap them in and out of the Sierra-NrT and tower so we could listen. The woofer is the same woofer that is in the Sierra-1/NrT.

The mid is completely new and proprietary to Ascend, as are all drivers in Ascend speakers.

Here is a picture of one that Dave showed to us (it's a bit dusty). This one is slightly different as the phase plug is silver where I believe Dave has chosen to go with the gold color you see in the pictures of the tower.
    What is the benefit of the plug in the middle of the mid? I've seen similar cones on other speakers, KEF comes to mind off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by edmondwolfman View Post
    What is the benefit of the plug in the middle of the mid? I've seen similar cones on other speakers, KEF comes to mind off the top of my head.
    Here's a good explanation:
    http://www.preference-audio.com/phaseplug.htm

In addition, some phase plugs also aid in the cooling of the voicecoil.

Also keep in mind there are dustcaps that look like phase plugs, I am not sure how effective they are. A phase plug is stationary, while a dustcap is not.

In the KEFs, many of their midrange drivers are coaxial, meaning they also incorporate the tweeter, so the center piece is not necessarily a phase plug.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I also find them cleaner with better transparency -- sharper with clearly defined and more prominent "attack". Things like string plucks on acoustic guitars and the shimmer and sizzle of cymbals are more realistic. It is certainly not a night and day difference as the tweeter in the standard Sierra-1 is excellent, but for those who want that additional detail and clarity and who seek that next-level performance, I feel this tweeter will get you there.
    The differences are so much easier to hear with the instant A/B switching.

I went home and listened to my Sierra-1's, and perfectly happy, but difficult to get the comparison out of my head.
    -curtis

.... but difficult to get the comparison out of my head.
    Dahhhnt dahhhnt daaaah

/ominous music

Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi David,

Care to share your thoughts a bit on what you heard?

I recall you also preferred the Sierra-1 NrT compared to the stock Sierra-1 (as did everyone else), do you remember what you heard? Many inquiring minds want your feedback.
    Of course. I'll try to do that this evening.

tower looks like it will look great, and sounds like it will sound even better. can't wait. wife said we could get a pair because she hates the wobbly bookshelf speakers (and she hates how most stands look so it's not just a question of better stands). didn't care about price. A pair will be mine when it is released. huzzah! I assume it'll be bamboo? Hard to tell from the pictures.

I'll probably want to upgrade at least my center sierra-1 then, to match the new tweeter in the tower.

Good times. I also thank facebook for the heads up--haven't been lurking much recently.

Why MTWW and not TMWW like we usually see?

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Why MTWW and not TMWW like we usually see?
    I bet it has something to do with OPPIX crossover and getting all the drivers to mimic a single point source radiator.
    -curtis

The differences are so much easier to hear with the instant A/B switching.

I went home and listened to my Sierra-1's, and perfectly happy, but difficult to get the comparison out of my head.
    Curtis, do you think now that you will do the upgrade to the NrT or even consider the towers?

I haven't seen anyone say something like "wow that tower is so much better than the standmounts" or "the difference in the Sierra-1 NrT and the tower aren't so great that I have to move to the towers".

Inquiring minds. Oh and does Dave think the towers will be for sale this year?

Quote Originally Posted by edmondwolfman View Post
    Curtis, do you think now that you will do the upgrade to the NrT or even consider the towers?

I haven't seen anyone say something like "wow that tower is so much better than the standmounts" or "the difference in the Sierra-1 NrT and the tower aren't so great that I have to move to the towers".

Inquiring minds. Oh and does Dave think the towers will be for sale this year?
    Have you seen the Sierra thread on AVS and what a non-Ascend owner posted of the listening session?

If I can get the towers to work in my room...that's the route I will go. It will take some planning with my finances though. I want to get a new TV first.
    -curtis