Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Default Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    Unless you have dog hearing, anything above 20khz isn't going to be audible to you
    Most people probably can't even hear up to 20khz, that's generally considered the upper limit. And after about age 8 your ability to hear high frequencies begins to diminish. So if you are old enough to afford the speakers, you probably won't hear any spikes near 20khz, and certainly none above that.

Talking Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The prototype! I think the consensus of everyone there was they were fabulous.

Dave...thanks for allowing some of us over for a listen. Hospitality was great, great music, and great speakers!
    with that big ding on the bottom right, those must be B-Stock. How much?

Quote Originally Posted by M3_Pete View Post
    with that big ding on the bottom right, those must be B-Stock. How much?

You can see the prototype crossover on the floor behind the speaker as well.

My understanding is that this pair is spoken for.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by scape View Post
    i thought the tower concept was not an idea you were looking into.
    You can thank "merrymaid" on our forum for this

is an mtm on the way? i was hoping i read something about that along the way in this thread
    I am experimenting with a few other concepts. Not sure what approach (if any) we will take regrading this but this would be well into 2011 at a minimum.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

You can see the prototype crossover on the floor behind the speaker as well.

My understanding is that this pair is spoken for.
    Needs to be saved for the Ascend history museum.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    You can thank "merrymaid" on our forum for this
    I must confess, I have been "nudging" Dave on the tower concept for quite some time, probably pushing over a year by now. I don't know if he thanks me for it or just did it to put an end to my constant email inquiries

For the rest of you wanting an Ascend Tower, you are welcome!!!

HA

Dave,
    Sounds like you put on quite the demo yesterday, 8 hours of serious audio nirvana! A little black spray paint and "my" pair will be ready

Brandon

Wow! I've been in lala land enjoying my music and then I get a facebook update on the new Sierra-1 upgrade while my wife and I are driving down the road! The look on my face said it all. My wife didn't even hesitate to tell me to go for it! Upgraditis has set in!!

Do you know how hard it is to read through all this on a cell phone! Very exciting news and I'm all in on upgrading my Sierra's! I have enjoyed every version and can't wait to hear what Dave's been cooking up this time!

Woohoo!!!

I don't think it is an unusual concept. It is a MTWW arrangement.

Price range was discussed, I think it would be safe to say that Dave is aiming below the $2K mark.

We also heard the Sierra NrT, but it looks like the Sierra-1 with a black colored waveguide.
    Are these the same drivers from Sierra-1(Nrt) in that Tower? Also, the driver for the mids is from 340?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Are these the same drivers from Sierra-1(Nrt) in that Tower? Also, the driver for the mids is from 340?
    The tweeter is the same NrT tweeter. Dave currently only has two of them for testing, so he and Sal had to swap them in and out of the Sierra-NrT and tower so we could listen. The woofer is the same woofer that is in the Sierra-1/NrT.

The mid is completely new and proprietary to Ascend, as are all drivers in Ascend speakers.

Here is a picture of one that Dave showed to us (it's a bit dusty). This one is slightly different as the phase plug is silver where I believe Dave has chosen to go with the gold color you see in the pictures of the tower.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -curtis

I little more info on the session.

We did A LOT of listening. The group started out as eight(if you include Dave and Sal). Two of us own Ascends(four if you include Dave and Sal ). Five of us know each other from the AVS forum and are part of a LA audio/video group that gets together once in a while to visit each other's home theaters/audio setups, movie sound mixing studios, speaker companies, and a/v magazine companies in the area, etc. I posted an invite in the LA meet thread and three of them decided to make the drive to San Clemente.

It was a real good time listening the speakers and comparing. For me, the different music also makes it enjoyable, as well as talking "shop" and learning new things. On top of that, Dave treated us to some great pizza at a local joint.

Thanks again, Dave!
    -curtis