Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Default Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Guys -- this new tweeter is expensive, our cost is 3x more than what we pay for our current tweeter and I would estimate that if it were to be sold retail, it would have a price tag around $180 each. The tweeter is a joint venture between us and SEAS and we are the only company that will will ever have it. As far as soft domes go, this is among the very best out there with performance designed specifically for our goals, which is based on our customer feedback. This tweeter also allows us to use a different crossover topology with different slopes and not only is the difference in the highs dramatic -- the midrange is remarkable and the Sierra-1 NrT will be about 1/2dB more efficient with a frequency response that is now more linear than our CBM-170 (which is a remarkable accomplishment).

This Sierra-1 NrT should provide class-leading performance regardless of the price point. A bold statement indeed, but I welcome anyone to come have a listen for yourself. I hate discussing products that are still a few months away, this is new to us but at least with our demo room now open and the products ready to be heard, people can come and listen for themselves.

No vaporware here
    Sigh, I was thinking of skipping this upgrade because I have absolutely no complaints with the current Sierra SEAS tweeter, but I don't think that will be an option So will the upgrade be a crossover and tweeter swap or will we have to send in the speaker to Ascend? For us poor canucks living in igloos its far more trouble to deice the ski-doo or dogsled and ride with the Sierras halfway through our ice desert wasteland to reach the helipad where we can airlift the Sierras to send them in for the upgrade... And I just happen to know a baby seal who's pretty handy with a soldering gun and screwdriver!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-12-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    The sooner you announce the price of the sierra upgrade the sooner I can plan how much beefaroni I'm gonna have to eat in the next 6 months..
    Working on it today... I want to get this upgrade out there and into Sierra-1 owner's homes but our first supply of parts is limited. My plan is to offer special pricing for the first 50 or so customers who order the NrT upgrade for their existing Sierra-1 and special pricing for the first 50 customers who order the Sierra-1 NrT complete.

Estimated special intro pricing for the NrT upgrade (DIY) is $200 per speaker, whch includes the new tweeter AND the entirely new crossover. Looking at the numbers, this is about as low as we can possibly go for this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    The sooner you announce the price of the sierra upgrade the sooner I can plan how much beefaroni I'm gonna have to eat in the next 6 months..
    ME TOO! Except I'm not looking for upgrade but price of new Sierras and Towers

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Working on it today... I want to get this upgrade out there and into Sierra-1 owner's homes but our first supply of parts is limited. My plan is to offer special pricing for the first 50 or so customers who order the NrT upgrade for their existing Sierra-1 and special pricing for the first 50 customers who order the Sierra-1 NrT complete.

Estimated special intro pricing for the NrT upgrade (DIY) is $200 per speaker, whch includes the new tweeter AND the entirely new crossover. Looking at the numbers, this is about as low as we can possibly go for this.
    Woa! That seems very reasonable! Where do we sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Woa! That seems very reasonable! Where do we sign up?
    +1

$200 per speaker.......DIY?

A little more than I had anticipated, but considering the performance of the upgrade it seems reasonable.

DIY means the parts are shipped to the customer and they do the component swap? Will this be doable for the less than experienced out there?

(Where do we sign up to be on the list?)
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    $200 per speaker.......DIY?

A little more than I had anticipated, but considering the performance of the upgrade it seems reasonable.

DIY means the parts are shipped to the customer and they do the component swap? Will this be doable for the less than experienced out there?

(Where do we sign up to be on the list?)
    Well, if it's a high end tweeter, Dave mentioned 180$ per tweeter was it to sell retail... And there's also an assembled crossover... It's well within reasonable pricing imho. Compare to the skiing ninja price for crossover upgrades, (new crossovers basically), and 200$ for one and a high end tweeter isn't bad. But to be honest, when I first read it, I thought it was 200$ per pair and was like, woa! This is peanuts! But hey, you want quality parts, it'll definitely cost you...

Sierra's crossover:

The DIY will pretty much come down to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jr9QH0t3h4

But like I said, personally, I'm quite happy with the current Sierra performance so it's definitely an optional upgrade, it's not like one of those crossovers you have to buy to fix a speaker because it has a bad crossover... Plus, you get the upgrade option, other companies would have no upgrade, you'd have to buy a whole set of speakers, so again, quite attractive options for those who could use a performance upgrade!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-12-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Agreed......no need to upgrade as the Sierra-1 is already an excellent speaker. I want the best possible performance available for it, however.

I want to go into the local hi-fi shop here, where they have the Sonus Fabers that are Sterophile Class A rated at something like $4-$5K a pair and feel that my little old "budget" Sierra-1's can go one on one with them!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I had a feeling the current tweeter exterior design and assembly make a lot of sense to carry over--I'm actually surprised more designs don't do something similar.

I'm very interested in this upgrade to increase upper clarity. Something I can definitely notice between the Sierra-1s and the Thiel CS 1.6's I have in the other room.

But now what do I do with the old tweeter and crossover? Feels like a waste of good, barely used parts.

... and a good three way tower, exactly as I'd hoped. Going to have to figure out how to budget for this.

This is quite exciting. I am not sure at this time what stage of development a Tower may at. I am just wondering what the basic design( cabinet,crossover(s), and footprint) might be.