Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Default Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

A couple questions about the new tower model:

What speakers do you see as the core competition?
    How do you see your tower comparing to the competition? (differences, tradeoffs, etc)

Thanks!
    Last edited by cacophony777; 07-11-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cacophony777 View Post
    A couple questions about the new tower model:

What speakers do you see as the core competition?
    Difficult to answer this while we still don't have a price point. I will say we are aiming very high with this speaker and it is our intention to be able to favorably compete with any tower speaker in the less than $5K range.

How do you see your tower comparing to the competition? (differences, tradeoffs, etc)
    Our products have always been about sound quality and neutrality. I will say this, I have listened to a huge number of loudspeakers out there and only a few have ever really impressed me all that much. These new products have thus far fully exceeded my expectations and have thoroughly impressed me. In fact, I would say that the upgraded Sierra-1 will lay waste to many "high-end" towers out there.

At this point, I invite anyone to come to our facility, bring your speakers and do the A/B comparson yourself. I would prefer if others posted their thoughts rather than I as I might sound too enthusiastic and I prefer to remain low key about these things.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Our products have always been about sound quality and neutrality. I will say this, I have listened to a huge number of loudspeakers out there and only a few have ever really impressed me all that much. These new products have thus far fully exceeded my expectations and have thoroughly impressed me. In fact, I would say that the upgraded Sierra-1 will lay waste to many "high-end" towers out there.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to hearing the new models.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the few speakers that have impressed you?

Dave, does the new NRT tweeter for the Sierra look different than the standard one? Does it still use the "Eyeball" insert around the dome? Just trying to envision it as I am visualizing something like the Vifa ring tweeter from the Rocket speakers.

Any guestimates on a release date?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

It is interesting to read the older threads about it... http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...?t=4247&page=4 and
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4290

Good question! ++!

I will say this, I have listened to a huge number of loudspeakers out there and only a few have ever really impressed me all that much. These new products have thus far fully exceeded my expectations and have thoroughly impressed me. In fact, I would say that the upgraded Sierra-1 will lay waste to many "high-end" towers out there.
    I must say I'm somewhat intrigued... I'm in the same boat with being unimpressed with most speakers, many sound really good, but when they cost something like >5000$, they definitely should... And even then, when you take the price into consideration, it's hard to be impressed when the price is prohibitive. In my case, not particularly because I don't have the funds, more that I don't think it's worth it to spend that much to get that level of performance...

But if we're talking competition, I'm guessing which aspect impresses is quite important. Some speakers will impress you for sheer brute strength and ease of playing loudly and cleanly (Wilsons, JMLabs Utopias, Verity Audio, etc.), then you have some which have very good detail/imaging, like the Martin Logan CLX (actually heard them but wasn't very impressed... but its just the type of speakers many praise for such attributes), Quads/Magnepans or MBL speakers (these were impressive imho! http://www.mbl-usa.com/View.aspx/2104/mbl-121-Compact). Then you have other speakers able to do have a big soundstage, like .. gah.. name escapes me... From the company of the guy who did hte B&W Nautilus Sig (shell), oh yeah, Vivid B1 (http://blog.stereophile.com/ssi2010//index2.html), other speakers will impress with other stuff...

I guess I'm a bit more impressionnable than Dave, I've heard a lot of speakers which sounded really good, just extremely rarely something which made me go: "Wow!! This sounds absolutely fantastic for what it costs!!!". A ton of "This sounds good/very good, but look at the price, LOL"

Do we have a ballpark for the price? I think this is usually the exclamation point by Ascend... I'm pretty sure this'll be kept for release

I'll let him answer the question, but he's hard guy to please in terms of audio. In one of the interview prior to the release of Sierra-1, he had mentioned that he had liked TAD speakers. (If I remember correctly, those were in the range of 10's of thousands..)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    I'll let him answer the question, but he's hard guy to please in terms of audio. In one of the interview prior to the release of Sierra-1, he had mentioned that he had liked TAD speakers. (If I remember correctly, those were in the range of 10's of thousands..)
    You are mostly likely correct. Dave has told me some of his favorites are the pioneer EX line and also the TAD speakers(very similar). Mega bucks for any of those lines though, hopefully the new ascend towers hold there own against even speakers half their price(TAD's & etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Dave, does the new NRT tweeter for the Sierra look different than the standard one? Does it still use the "Eyeball" insert around the dome? Just trying to envision it as I am visualizing something like the Vifa ring tweeter from the Rocket speakers.

Any guestimates on a release date?
    From the front, the new NrT looks exactly the same with the only difference being that the waveguide insert will be black as opposed to the current grayish color. The motor assembly of the tweeter is completely different -- the NrT looks completely different from the sides and back. I will post a picture or two in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Just trying to envision it as I am visualizing something like the Vifa ring tweeter from the Rocket speakers.
    The Vifa XT is a ring radiator tweeter. The NrT is entirely different, it uses an axially magnetized neodymium ring magnet (donut shaped) as opposed to a neo "slug". This is technology only seen in some of the highest regarded (and most expensive) tweeters out there -- such as the higher end ScanSpeak and SEAS Excel models. This type of motor structure provides a more powerful and focused magnetic field, far superior ventilation, less magnetic flux leakage and better damping. In addition, the voice coil of this tweeter is now fully "underhung" -- meaning that the voice coil itself remains within the magnetic gap at all times, which dramatically reduces distortion and compression at higher volume levels, increases efficiency and power handling.

Guys -- this new tweeter is expensive, our cost is 3x more than what we pay for our current tweeter and I would estimate that if it were to be sold retail, it would have a price tag around $180 each. The tweeter is a joint venture between us and SEAS and we are the only company that will will ever have it. As far as soft domes go, this is among the very best out there with performance designed specifically for our goals, which is based on our customer feedback. This tweeter also allows us to use a different crossover topology with different slopes and not only is the difference in the highs dramatic -- the midrange is remarkable and the Sierra-1 NrT will be about 1/2dB more efficient with a frequency response that is now more linear than our CBM-170 (which is a remarkable accomplishment).

This Sierra-1 NrT should provide class-leading performance regardless of the price point. A bold statement indeed, but I welcome anyone to come have a listen for yourself. I hate discussing products that are still a few months away, this is new to us but at least with our demo room now open and the products ready to be heard, people can come and listen for themselves.

No vaporware here
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post

This Sierra-1 NrT should provide class-leading performance regardless of the price point. A bold statement indeed, but I welcome anyone to come have a listen for yourself. I hate discussing products that are still a few months away, this is new to us but at least with our demo room now open and the products ready to be heard, people can come and listen for themselves.

No vaporware here
    Dave, this is great news. I'm excited to see more details as they come about - I'd sure drop in for a listen if I was in a state anywhere nearby.

One question that's been on my mind - has there been any thought of a dedicated Sierra model (NrT) Center channel? Or will the -1 continue to fill that role?

...just diagram-ing out my upgrade path
    Jon O.

The sooner you announce the price of the sierra upgrade the sooner I can plan how much beefaroni I'm gonna have to eat in the next 6 months..