Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

Default Re: Information about new Sierra-1 and Towers?

So, if an existing Sierra-1 is upgraded with the new tweeter and crossover would it then be exactly the same as a Sierra Nrt or are there other changes such as cabinet, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by edmondwolfman View Post
    So, if an existing Sierra-1 is upgraded with the new tweeter and crossover would it then be exactly the same as a Sierra Nrt or are there other changes such as cabinet, etc?
    My understanding is......yes. The upgrade involves a new tweeter and crossover, with the woofer carried over. The improved tweeter allows a different crossover frequency which allows more of the mid frequencies to play through the tweeter. The mids and highs are thus improved as the woofer is freed up to handle the lower stuff and not induce as much, though minute, amounts of distortion into the midrange.

If I am totally off base, please step in Dave!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    $200 per speaker.......DIY?

A little more than I had anticipated, but considering the performance of the upgrade it seems reasonable.

DIY means the parts are shipped to the customer and they do the component swap? Will this be doable for the less than experienced out there?

(Where do we sign up to be on the list?)
    Upgrades will be very easy for 90% of the Sierra-1's out there. Only potential issue will be with first generation Sierra-1 cabinets that came from our first cabinet vendor. The internal binding posts on these speakers might have had some glue drip on them which makes removing the nut that secures the crossover input wires to the binding post difficult. There would be (2) ways around this, the simplest way is to just cut the wires directly and then solder the connections to the new crossover. Or, we have found that if you drip something like "Goof Off" on to the nut and wait 5 minutes or so, the adhesive bond will deteriorate and the nut then comes off easily.

The only other potential issue is screwing the new crossover down into the bottom of the cabinet. For thus of you with big hands, it can be a bit challenging. We use right angle screwdrivers here in the shop and that makes it very simple. I would estimate that the majority of our customers will be able to perform the complete upgrade in 10-15 minutes per speaker.

$200 per speaker.......DIY?
    A little more than I had anticipated, but considering the performance of the upgrade it seems reasonable.
    It is more than I anticipated as well, the crossovers came in at about $10 higher (each). I am working with (2) vendors on this and one option to bring the cost down a bit is to use thinner gauge wire on (2) of the inductors and then compensate for the 1/4 ohm increase in impedance by decreasing a series resistor. This will have no affect on performance and if I can make this change, I should be able to reach my original target price for the upgrade of $180 per speaker. Not a huge difference but it helps...

In addition, we will also do upgrades here at the office for the same price + return shipping. We will keep the old parts, which then covers our labor costs, with the advantage being that we will include the new response curves for you and your warranty will reset for an additional 7 years from the date we do the upgrade... This might be the best option for some of you, but it will cost you an estimate $50-$80 more for the shipping.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Agreed......no need to upgrade as the Sierra-1 is already an excellent speaker. I want the best possible performance available for it, however.

I want to go into the local hi-fi shop here, where they have the Sonus Fabers that are Sterophile Class A rated at something like $4-$5K a pair and feel that my little old "budget" Sierra-1's can go one on one with them!
    Agreed, this upgrade is not for everyone. The Sierra-1 NrT is EXTREMELY detailed -- capable of revealing all of the nuances in your source material. Depending on your source material and quality, the Sierra-1 NrT is going to make poor quality sources sound even worse while the Sierra-1 is more foregiving. This new tweeter is fast, delicate and with loads of top-end air. It is the perfect solution for those that like the advantages of a soft dome but yet miss some of the positive aspects of a metal dome.

Sal had a listen 2 days ago, he had his very first true "audiophile" experience - causing the hair on his arms to raise and he was shocked at this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Exactly the same
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Exactly the same
    If a person were to get the Sierra-1s and then do the upgrade to NrTs when that becomes available would the price for the Sierra-1s + Upgrade be equivalent to the price of the Sierra NrT?

Also if someone purchases Sierra-1s and they decide to go with the towers someday will there be a trade in/ trade up program?

If a person were to get the Sierra-1s and then do the upgrade to NrTs when that becomes available would the price for the Sierra-1s + Upgrade be equivalent to the price of the Sierra NrT?

Also if someone purchases Sierra-1s and they decide to go with the towers someday will there be a trade in/ trade up program?
    Agon is really good option for this :-) I'm sure many would lunge at an opportunity to grab the NrT off your hands at that time

The Sierra-1 NrT will cost a bit less than if you purchased a pair of Sierra-1 and then later performed the NrT upgrade. The reason for this is simple, we save the cost of the Sierra-1 tweeter.

Yeesh -- below is edited to correct my mistake -- sorry for the initial confusion, spent most of last night listening to the new speakers and my brain is slow today due to lack of sleep

While we wait for parts to arrive, we will be running a limited quantity special on Sierra-1 speakers (not upgraded and limited by quantity) whereby these customers who purchase Sierra-1 and want the NrT upgrade, will only pay the difference between a new pair of Sierra-1 and a new pair of NrT + shipping, provided the NrT upgrade is purchased within 90 days.

I understand that this is going to leave our current Sierra-1 customers feeling left out, but I am evaluating the numbers and I am hoping to be able to offer a limited quanitity special to "split the difference" in price.

In other words, assuming the NrT upgrade comes in at $380 and a pair of Sierra-1 NrT are priced at a $300 premium.

Customers who purchase Sierra-1 now (since this announcement), will be able to add the NrT upgrade within 90-days for $300. After the 90-day period, the upgrade price would then be $380 ( or whatever it is at that time )

For the first 50 current Sierra-1 owners ordering the upgrade, we will split the difference such that the upgrade price would be $300 + (($380-$300)/2) = $340.

If anyone is interested in this right now, please send me a PM or email.

Yes, most definitely.
    Last edited by davef; 07-15-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

PM sent, with a bonus question in the pm!

Btw, is there a ballpark date when the upgrades will be available? As in, a few weeks or is it more like a few months?

edit: "I hate discussing products that are still a few months away", so still a few months away it sounds like...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 07-15-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    PM sent, with a bonus question in the pm!

Btw, is there a ballpark date when the upgrades will be available? As in, a few weeks or is it more like a few months?

edit: "I hate discussing products that are still a few months away", so still a few months away it sounds like...
    I am very far behind with regard to emails and PM's right now -- so please be patient. I promise we will answer every question in every email and PM regarding this.

That being said, after 4 hours of direct A/B comparisons between the Sierra-1 NrT and Sierra-1, some of the major differences I noticed were:

* surprisingly large improvement in midrange clarity -- especially noticable with vocals and acoustic guitar. It does seem like another layer has been removed with the NrT and it is yet another step closer to the music. Mids are also fuller sounding, with more weight.

* I would say midrange is about 10 rows more forward sounding with slightly better center imaging. The NrT is a less laid back speaker.

* The upgraded tweeter is sharper and quicker, there is a noticeable imrprovement in attack and decay, such that instruments have more *snap* to them, a more concise impact. For example, with cymbals, the impact is clearly more defined with more delicacy and shimmer.

* Complex high-frequency detail is also more defined with noticeable improvements to instrument separation.

* I was concerned that poorly recorded material would sound worse on the NrT than standard Sierra-1 but to my surprise, I was wrong. Californication, while one of my all time fav CD's, is recorded very poorly. This CD sounds better on the NrT than Sierra-1 as the midrange sounds more lush, more weight to it and this seems draw one's attention away from the audible distortion in the source material. I attribute this to the more linear frequency response of the NrT, especially in the midrange such that the NrT is clearly better balanced throughout the speaker's bandwidth.

* Absolutely no change to bass extension, as expected.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com