Thread: 2.1 Sierra-1 without crossover?

Default 2.1 Sierra-1 without crossover?

Just got my Sierra-1's in and they are simply beautiful and perform as so.
    I'm currently running the speaker's through my computer, with a DAC and a NAD C 326BEE. So a simple yet effective 2.0 setup.

My question is, if i was to get a Rythmik f12 can I adjust crossover's with my amp and the crossover on the rythmik or is the only way to do that to have a specific crossover adjuster on my amp (which is does not have), like a receiver? I'm not really willing to buy a receiver as I don't need all the extra's it comes with. Would the rythmik be worth it since I can't adjust the crossover?

Also while I'm at it, is their any real tweaks I can make to my setup that would be beneficial? I already have the Q-plugs A in my speakers.

Default Re: 2.1 Sierra-1 without crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by pug4567 View Post
    Just got my Sierra-1's in and they are simply beautiful and perform as so.
    I'm currently running the speaker's through my computer, with a DAC and a NAD C 326BEE. So a simple yet effective 2.0 setup.

My question is, if i was to get a Rythmik f12 can I adjust crossover's with my amp and the crossover on the rythmik or is the only way to do that to have a specific crossover adjuster on my amp (which is does not have), like a receiver? I'm not really willing to buy a receiver as I don't need all the extra's it comes with. Would the rythmik be worth it since I can't adjust the crossover?
    You will be able to adjust the crossover on the subwoofer directly,thereby setting at what frequency you want the subwoofer to start playing at. However, you won't be able to adjust any filter settings on the speakers.

One option is to use the speaker outputs on the NAD to connect to the subwoofer and then connect the Sierra-1 directly to the subwoofer's high-level speaker outputs. This will create a passive 6dB / octave crossover at approximately 80Hz for the speakers.

The better option would be to use the line-level out from your DAC and connect to the line-level in on the sub. Then use the line-level out from the subwoofer and connect to the NAD. This will create an active 80Hz crossover for the Sierra-1 (which would be recommended over full-range when used with the F12)

Is adding the Rythmik worth it? Yes, most definitely

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Oh that's excellent, and it certainly helps. All i would have to do is buy some kinda long rca interconnects.

Thanks!

ok so i got my rythmik f12 and hooked it up like this
    the better option would be to use the line-level out from your DAC and connect to the line-level in on the sub. Then use the line-level out from the subwoofer and connect to the NAD
    and it works perfectly fine and sounds amazing. Just one small thing I'm wondering if theirs an easy solution for.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, I have to adjust the volume on the back of the subwoofer which makes finding the right balance between volume on the speakers and sub kinda difficult to find. Anything i can do about this?
    Last edited by pug4567; 08-01-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pug4567 View Post
    ok so i got my rythmik f12 and hooked it up like this and it works perfectly fine and sounds amazing. Just one small thing I'm wondering if theirs an easy solution for.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, I have to adjust the volume on the back of the subwoofer which makes finding the right balance between volume on the speakers and sub kinda difficult to find. Anything i can do about this?
    Not sure I follow you this one... Are you saying that when you turn the volume of the speakers higher or lower, you must then manually adjust the subwoofer volume at the back of the sub? If yes, this is because you are adjusting the volume of the system by using the volume control on the NAD integrated, which will only affect the speakers. You should set the volume contol on the NAD to about 50% and then use your PC to control the volume, as it will control the volume level of the speakers and the subwoofer.

If you wish to control the volume of the system with the NAD, you must use the other connection method I mentioned:

One option is to use the speaker outputs on the NAD to connect to the subwoofer and then connect the Sierra-1 directly to the subwoofer's high-level speaker outputs. This will create a passive 6dB / octave crossover at approximately 80Hz for the speakers.
    It will still sound great
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    The better option would be to use the line-level out from your DAC and connect to the line-level in on the sub. Then use the line-level out from the subwoofer and connect to the NAD. This will create an active 80Hz crossover for the Sierra-1 (which would be recommended over full-range when used with the F12)
    I plan to do exactly as you've advised above: DAC > Rhythmik F-15 > Amps > Speakers.

This would require 4 cables, L/R in and L/R out, correct? Should I use standard RCA stereo pairs for this or subwoofer cables like one would use to connect a sub to their Pre/Pro in a HT setup?

Also, how will the active crossover affect the signal, besides filtering off the low frequencies and sending them to the sub amp? I ask because the reason I'm going to use the DAC as preamp (it has volume control) is a superior output stage to that found in the same company's current stereo preamp, according to their lead designer/engineer. I'm assuming the Rhythmik's crossover won't process it in any way, just send the signal it receives on to the amps minus everything below the crossover point chosen. I hope that's the case.

Thanks in advance for any input/advice. I'm not new to audio, but over the last year have been getting back into it after 15 years of being away, and I wasn't exactly on the cutting edge back then, or as interested in the scientific and technological aspects. Boy have things changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Blue View Post
    I plan to do exactly as you've advised above: DAC > Rhythmik F-15 > Amps > Speakers.

This would require 4 cables, L/R in and L/R out, correct? Should I use standard RCA stereo pairs for this or subwoofer cables like one would use to connect a sub to their Pre/Pro in a HT setup?
    Other than marketing, there is no difference between RCA stereo cables and a "subwoofer" cable.

Also, how will the active crossover affect the signal, besides filtering off the low frequencies and sending them to the sub amp? I ask because the reason I'm going to use the DAC as preamp (it has volume control) is a superior output stage to that found in the same company's current stereo preamp, according to their lead designer/engineer. I'm assuming the Rhythmik's crossover won't process it in any way, just send the signal it receives on to the amps minus everything below the crossover point chosen. I hope that's the case.
    I am not sure I follow you on this one. The line-level sub out on the Rythmik is not an active filter -- it is passive. By using the above mentioned setup, the full range signal is sent to the subwoofer. The line-level outs will apply a passive 6dB / octave high-pass filter (thus removing some of the low bass frequencies) and this signal will then go to your amp and then to your speakers. The crossover point on the line outs is fixed at 80Hz (I believe). It is not variable and thus is not affected by the variable low-pass setting on the subwoofer. It would be recommended to simply set this to 80Hz to match the line-outs etc.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Other than marketing, there is no difference between RCA stereo cables and a "subwoofer" cable.

I am not sure I follow you on this one. The line-level sub out on the Rythmik is not an active filter -- it is passive. By using the above mentioned setup, the full range signal is sent to the subwoofer. The line-level outs will apply a passive 6dB / octave high-pass filter (thus removing some of the low bass frequencies) and this signal will then go to your amp and then to your speakers. The crossover point on the line outs is fixed at 80Hz (I believe). It is not variable and thus is not affected by the variable low-pass setting on the subwoofer. It would be recommended to simply set this to 80Hz to match the line-outs etc.

Hope this helps!
    It sure does, thanks.

80hz would be fine. I know the Sierras can play lower than that, but the Rhythmik can play clean to what, 120hz? So I'd have a 6db/octave slope around 80hz and not have to use the high-level inputs on the sub. There would be no low-pass, the speakers would gradually roll off at 80hz and the sub would meet them on the same slope, is that right?

Sounds like what I'm after. The ability to choose a lower high-pass might be nice, but I'm not going to nit-pick. I'm sure they'd blend well at 80.

As far as the cables go, aren't (some) subwoofer cables better shielded than regular RCA analog signal cables? Or is that more marketing hype?
    Last edited by Too_Blue; 09-27-2010 at 12:54 AM.

As far as the cables go, aren't (some) subwoofer cables better shielded than regular RCA analog signal cables? Or is that more marketing hype?
    Yes, some cables certainly offer better shielding, but the shielding from a standard RCA cable to a "subwoofer" cable is generally no different. The shielding method used really only comes into play depending on how long the cable run is.. and even with that, if you run the cable properly it won't be a concern.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Gotcha.

Thanks, Dave.