Thread: Footers on F12's

Default Footers on F12's

I am loving my 2 F12's in my 2 channel set up. They do not come with cones of any kind. What are y'all using under yours?

Default Re: Footers on F12's

Previously, I was not using anything under my F15, but a few months ago I attached furniture sliders to the bottom.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis,
    What was your purpose with the sliders? I am looking at the F15SE and wondering about the spikes for carpet over concrete in my basement.

Regards,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mleuba View Post
    Hi Curtis,
    What was your purpose with the sliders? I am looking at the F15SE and wondering about the spikes for carpet over concrete in my basement.
    Makes it easier to slide the sub around on the hardwood floor without messing up the finish of either.

For carpet over concrete, the spikes won't give you a sonic benefit.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Makes it easier to slide the sub around on the hardwood floor without messing up the finish of either.

For carpet over concrete, the spikes won't give you a sonic benefit.
    Curtis, does this apply to floor standing speakers:spikes for carpet over concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Curtis, does this apply to floor standing speakers:spikes for carpet over concrete?
    Yes.
    -curtis

Yes.
    Curtis, thank you but can you comment on the purpose of having spikes, are there no sonic benefits just with carpet over concrete, or do they have a benefit with carpet over something else besides concrete. I'm serious about this, I have been using spikes for many years with carpet over concrete, is it detrimental or just does not have have any sonic benefits. What would you advise with a tower speaker with thick carpet over concrete? Sorry for all the questions, I have heard this before but never truly understood why spikes with carpet/concrete have no sonic benefit. Thanks for the time my friend.
    Jeff

Concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate. The reason for spikes are to reduce the transmission of vibrations to the floor. Since concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate, there is no need for the spikes.

There is no detriment in using the spikes, just that in this case, they are not needed.

Here's an interesting article on the subject of spikes and cones:
    http://www.audioholics.com/education...019s-the-point
    Last edited by curtis; 08-15-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    -curtis

Concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate. The reason for spikes are to reduce the transmission of vibrations to the floor. Since concrete doesn't vibrate or resonate, there is no need for the spikes.

There is no detriment in using the spikes, just that in this case, they are not needed.

Here's an interesting article on the subject of spikes and cones:
    http://www.audioholics.com/education...019s-the-point
    Thanks Curtis, really helps