Thread: Assistance for a non-audiophile

Default Assistance for a non-audiophile

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of moving, and while I have some downtime, I'm figuring out my new home theater setup. I was hoping for some guidance here on what to choose, and what will make me happy.

I have decided that I would classify myself as a non-audiophile. I like and appreciate a nice home theater experience, but I'm not sure I can hear all the different things that I see are discussed here in the forums. I am however a geek who likes to make sure he has nice toys. I hope this makes sense.

I had a 5.1 home theater in my old house that consisted of Ascend CBM 170s (non SE, I bought them in 2005, I think). I had 4 CBM 170's, and a center CBM 170 as well. I also ordered an amazing sub that I don't see a need to replace.

In my new place, I would like to go 7.1, to keep up. I purchased a new receiver to do 7.1, my old one was only 5.1. The receiver I got is an Onkyo TXSR608. It has a bunch of HDMI ports, so that will be nice. But now, I need to decide what to do about speakers. I also purchased a used CBM 340 along the way, thinking I could put it in the center channel.

I would like to use my old speakers. I'm just looking for some ideas on what I should buy and opinions of people out there.

Also, another unrelated question. In our new place we have a covered porch with speaker wire run out to it. If I were to replace speakers that were in my home theater, do you think they would be OK in an outside covered porch environment?

Default Re: Assistance for a non-audiophile

Hi Woodsdog,

I apologize in advance for this post not being answered, it seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle somehow

From your post, it appears like you already have a CMT-340 center channel that you wish to use in your new place. In this case, I would strongly recommend going with 340SE as left/right speakers and either HTM-200SE or CBM-170SE as rear speakers.

What subwoofer will you be using?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Assistance for a non-audiophile

I'd keep the old CBM-170s use and use 4 of them for your rears/surrounds. Then get a pair of 340s for your new fronts.

Not too expensive and you will have an improved system.

And if my math is correct, an extra pair of 170s.