Thread: Downsizing Question/ Advice

Default Downsizing Question/ Advice

We are relocating out of state and we will be downsizing for sure. My huge living room will be much much smaller I'm afraid!

So the massive HT will need to be adjusted to not be the first thing people see when the come into the house! ha ha!

I currently have all Rockets. 550 mains, Bigfoot Center, 300 surrounds, and 150 rears. Along with a SVS PB+12 (which I'll keep).

I'm looking to downsize but not downgrade the quality. Especially with the center channel. I run an Emotiva 3 channel (200w per) for the fronts so I want something that can handle more juice. I'm thinking of doing the 170's as mains, the 340 center, and another pair of 170's for surrounds (just doing 5.1).

So my question is: How do you guys think that combo will do in a smaller room? I'm very used to the Rockets "sound" and I'm very very impressed with the center channel clarity etc. Any advice?

Thanks!

Default Re: Downsizing Question/ Advice

Do you have any idea what size your new living room will be? I currently have some 170's for mains, a 340 center, and 200's for surrounds. My room is about 15 feet by 12 feet and 8 foot ceilings with an opening on the right side. That combination sounds incredible in that size room. You might want to use 200's for surrounds because they are smaller which makes them easier to place or in my case wall mount them.
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4

I had a guy over 2 years ago, picking up some gear he purchased from me. So, I fired up the amp and pre/pro (Emotiva LPA-1, LMC-1) and he studdered, "What speakers are those?" He had recently bought some rocket towers and bigfoot and was now being floored by a pair of CBM170SEs.

Are these the 550MK2 or the original 550's?

At a GTG in Austin, Tx, about 5-6 years ago, I got to hear the 550MK2 along side the original CMT-340 (classic). The 340 did not have the bass of the 550MK2, but the midrange and highs were cleaner. The 340SE would come closer to the bass extension, and even better mids/highs.
    -curtis

The 170s offer such terrific reproduction of sound. Even as a "smaller" system the integration with a sub from all of their offerings is spot on.

Cool story placebo...myself and some fellow guitar players just fell in love with the 170s over several other offerings.

Agent -- I hope you are satisfied when you give it a try. Just know that rockets were tuned for a particular characteristic of reproduction quite different from ascend's design.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentCooper View Post
    So my question is: How do you guys think that combo will do in a smaller room? I'm very used to the Rockets "sound" and I'm very very impressed with the center channel clarity etc. Any advice?

Thanks!
    I think that combo will sound great in your room! It will be a bit more detailed sounding than the Rockets with more high frequency crispness and extension, but also more neutral and natural. I suspect you will be quite happy -- our CBM-170's are an amazing loudspeaker

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com