Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** Special: Ascend + IcePower!

Thumbs up *** Special: Ascend + IcePower!

Ascend + IcePower = Sonic Bliss!

About 4 years ago, my brother mentioned that a good friend of his was planning on starting a new audio electronics company and asked if I had any advice to share with him. My comment at that time was to tell his friend that he was absolutely crazy.

Over the years, I have had the privilege of getting to know my brother’s old friend quite well through many phone calls and correspondences and I have come to the conclusion that my first instinct was right – this guy is indeed crazy!

Anyone willing to invest a ton of money to develop electronics designed to challenge the *Big Guys* must be nuts, right?

Years later, I have been lucky enough to spend time with this new company’s products and let me just say they are the REAL DEAL in every possible aspect. From performance and great looks, to the build quality and honest pricing, I have been nothing but thoroughly impressed by what I have evaluated. And I don’t just mean basic listening; I have torn these products apart and have critically measured them.

I have been a vocal fan of B&O’s IcePower technology for a while now and the combination of IcePower and Sierra-1 is simply a match made in heaven. IcePower offers very high-power with incredible dynamics, clean and detailed highs and the amps are dead quiet. The only issue I have ever had with these amps is that they can sound a bit analytical at times when compared to a high-quality Class A amplifier.

Click here to read more about this technology: http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com...hnology/power/

Introducing the Virtue Audio, IceBlock amplifier!

This one-of-a-kind amplifier offers 500 watts of power into a 4 ohm load / 250 watts into 8 ohms and features a drop-dead gorgeous chassis with true audiophile components throughout.

What makes this IceAmp stand out from the crowd is the addition of a tube based input buffer which transforms IcePower from being slightly analytical at times to being magically musical. Imagine all of the power, dynamics and efficiency of Ice combined with the musicality of a tube based input stage...

This tube buffer was designed by none other than the tube guru himself, Gary Dodd of Dodd Audio.

Plain and simple, this is one absolutely fantastic high-end power amp and will likely be the last amplifier you will ever purchase.

The Virtue Audio IceBlock Amp is the perfect match to our renowned Sierra-1 loudspeakers and Ascend Acoustics is very proud to announce a cooperative effort to get these new amplifiers into the hands of true music lovers.

These are monoblock amplifiers, meaning each amp drives only one channel which further maximizes sound quality by providing a power supply for each individual channel in addition to the best channel isolation and signal to noise ratio possible. A single monoblock amp will drive one loudspeaker.

These amplifiers originally sold for $2500/pair + shipping.

For a limited time, we are now offering some very special pricing.

Note: Other finishes and combinations now available. Please contact us for details

Sierra-1 pair in the natural finish + 1 pair of IceBlock amps = $2700 with FREE domestic ground shipping.

Click here to add to your shopping cart: Sierra-1 Natural + Iceblock

Sierra-1 pair in gloss espresso + 1 pair of IceBlock amps = $2800 with FREE domestic ground shipping.

Click here to add to your shopping cart: Sierra-1 Espresso + Iceblock

*Note: depending on which combo you order, the amp will include a maple top (which closely matches our natural finish) or a rosewood top which is a better match to our espresso finish.

And finally, a special for our mailing list and Facebook members if you don’t need the speakers and just want to purchase the amplifiers:

1 pair of IceBlock amps for $1999 + $50 flat rate domestic ground shipping.

Click here to add to your shopping cart: IceBlock Pair

This is the best price EVER offered for these amplifiers and an exclusive only for Ascend customers and fans.

For further details about these IceBlock amps, please click here: IceBlock

Please post any questions you have in this thread. Thank you!
    Last edited by davef; 08-26-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Default Re: *** Special: Ascend + IcePower!

Awesome addition Dave! They look very nice. I would love to audition these beasts with the Sierra's, but my budget won't allow it.

However, I'm really looking forward to anything relating to updates on the Sierra-1!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Oooh, wonderful temptation!
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Awesome addition Dave! They look very nice. I would love to audition these beasts with the Sierra's, but my budget won't allow it.
    Yes, these are really nice amps! They are priced competitively with other popular IceAmp models and considering the addition of the Gary Dodd tube buffer, they are a very good deal. Granted, the market for this type of expense is limited (especially these days) -- but it is nice to offer such high-end gear. Fits right in with Sierra-1 and Rythmik subs

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    However, I'm really looking forward to anything relating to updates on the Sierra-1!
    Hey, that is for a different thread!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the dollar keeps strengthening against the Euro...
    Last edited by davef; 05-07-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Congrats Dave on what looks like another great product offering through Ascend....I must say the last partnership with Rythmik was well worth it! It may be a while before I can try one of these ICE powered beauties though. I am saving for another upgrade

Wow! Quite surprised, and honestly a little puzzled at this latest announcement... What makes each mono amp worth 1000$ as opposed to other amps? (Say 1 power amp, NAD, Rotel, etc. at 1000$?) Could you post some measurements?

I was about to say that 2000$ puts them close to Bryston and Krell, but a quick jump to stereophile revealed that the Bryston and Krell amps are almost 10,000$ or more lol

So yeah, I guess interesting product... How audible is the tube? Anyhow, quite puzzled actually...

Nice touch with the matching top plate it seems! Oh! And they seem to be quite small, I thought they were 'regular' size... hmmm... Are they to scale in the pics next to the Sierras?

Dimensions/unit: H 3.8" x W 10.6" (no columns)/11.2" (with columns) x D 9.2". Weight around 18 lbs each.
    vs Sierra 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5"

Bit hard to say, ah, definitely not... ~4'' high vs 14 high for Sierras, and in pic, sierra looks 2.5 times as high, when they should be > 3x so not at scale...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 05-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.

If you look at what Bel Canto charges for a similar amp (without the tube stage) you will see that these amps are a great deal.

D-Sonic offers a similar amp without the tube stage for about $1600/pr. They are the least expensive ICEpower based amplifier supplier. So these IceBlocks are an excellent deal.

I use an ICEpower based amp (no tube stage) for my L/R Sierras, and have been extremely happy with them for 4 years or so. Before the Sierras, I used them with 340SE's.

Google ICEpower and you will come up with a lot of info.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    Wow! Quite surprised, and honestly a little puzzled at this latest announcement... What makes each mono amp worth 1000$ as opposed to other amps? (Say 1 power amp, NAD, Rotel, etc. at 1000$?) Could you post some measurements?

I was about to say that 2000$ puts them close to Bryston and Krell, but a quick jump to stereophile revealed that the Bryston and Krell amps are almost 10,000$ or more lol

So yeah, I guess interesting product... How audible is the tube? Anyhow, quite puzzled actually...

Nice touch with the matching top plate it seems! Oh! And they seem to be quite small, I thought they 'regular' size... hmmm...
    IcePower has become very popular and is being used in many higher-end receivers and amplifiers. It is an expensive technology offering Class D efficiency with true class A/B performance. It is also incredibly clean -- very high signal to noise ratio. You should read up on it -- you would find it quite interesting.

Many of our customers are using ICE powered amps from other manufacturers so by offering these, and by adding the tube buffer, we now have something we can offer at a very competitive price and with a more musical presentation.

Once of the very best combinations of equipment I have ever heard was a pair of TAD Reference 1's combined with a Bel Canto S500 amp. This amp retails for about $3000 (don't even ask about the price of the speakers -- but believe it or not, they are worth every penny) . This amp uses the same amplifier modules (ICE) as the Virtue Audio yet the Virtue model takes it a step further by adding the tube buffer stage. The Virtue Audio pair is $1000 less for a stereo setup.

Here is a review: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power...amplifier.html

The list of manufacturers that are switching over to ICE power for their better performing amplifiers is very impressive. I would say for the price -- considering the addition of the tube buffer (which in itself is an expensive piece of gear), the Virtue IceBlock offers the most value for someone who wants ICE power
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Congrats Dave on what looks like another great product offering through Ascend....I must say the last partnership with Rythmik was well worth it! It may be a while before I can try one of these ICE powered beauties though. I am saving for another upgrade
    Thanks.... Yes, the partnership with Rythmik has indeed worked out well so far. I think our companies complement each other nicely. I am hopeful the same will be said of Virtue Audio. I am truly impressed with their products.

I think I know what you are saving for, eh?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Yes, these are really nice amps! They are priced competitively with other popular IceAmp models and considering the addition of the Gary Dodd tube buffer, they are a very good deal. Granted, the market for this type of expense is limited (especially these days) -- but it is nice to offer such high-end gear. Fits right in with Sierra-1 and Rythmik subs
    After auditioning a Bryston Amp with some Usher towers a few evening ago, I agree that they seem like a very good value.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hey, that is for a different thread!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the dollar keeps strengthening against the Euro...
    It HAS been nearly 3 years since I purchased my pair. Upgraditis never rests!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables