Thread: tough decision to make, help!!

Default tough decision to make, help!!

I am either going to get a rythmik sub or upgrade the sierras with the new tweeter and crossover. I just need advice on which to get. What would impress me more? I have a polk psw10 right now that is weak. I really like to listen to my music loud and in doing so i have to keep the sierras set to small on my reciever because i push the limits of the 5.25" woofer on large. Would the nrt upgrade let me push the sierras harder set on large?

Default Re: tough decision to make, help!!

Wow... you must listen loud.

The NrT upgrade won't help you in that regard.
    -curtis

Smile Re: tough decision to make, help!!

loud is the only way to go with the sierras, thinkin i might do the tweeter upgrade. My ears are still ringing after listening to ACDC.

Thanks Curtis

Damn, if you hate your hearing so much, how are you planning to enjoy the NrT upgrade?

Even with the Rythmik, you'd want to run your mains as small and let the sub handle the bass. My guess is that overall, you'd get a better improvement going with a good sub than upgrading the Sierras... In sort of absolutes. Let me explain, let's say the speakers are B+, going NrT might improve them to A. But if you have a D sub, and get an A sub, it's a big improvement. The Rythmik will probably go deeper than your current sub, with more authority, will be tighter, flatter, play louder, with less distortion... Probably a very easily noticeable improvement.

As Curtis said, the NrT upgrade will not help the low end response of the Sierras... Won't change your small/large receiver main settings at all. It will improve the mids/highs... But how much? That's the question... Not a night and day difference I'd assume.

But there are differences: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...&postcount=239 "This is a 29mm dome tweeter which is a rather large diameter for domes. This offers many benefits, including lower distortion levels at lower frequencies, higher power handling / higher efficiency / improved dynamics."

Still, I wouldn't expect the NrTs to play a LOT louder than the regular Sierras, again, probably not night and day difference... The Sierras are no slouch as they are, so improvements are relatively small as you're getting diminishing returns... Let's put it this way, I have a couple friends over, watch a couple of music over a week. The next week, I upgrade to NrTs, listen to a couple of movies. Then I switch the speakers to another good similar 2 way speaker (2000$ speakers or whatever). I bet you 20$ no one notices... Of course these aren't audiophiles, just regular people watching movies... But going from a crappy sub to a good sub, they'd probably notice right away, from going to poor bass to good bass...

That said, I'm getting the upgrade... Anyhow, it's all presumptions on my part so far, never heard the NrTs... But like I said, diminishing returns, if you had crappy 200$ speakers and got Sierras, that's a big improvement... Crappy sub to Rythmik, big improvement... But Sierras to NrTs, relatively smaller improvements, as is usually the case with high end audio. Still, it's not too expensive, still significant differences from what it seems, so it depends on you as a listener...

But for HT, sub will probably make a bigger difference. Damn, that's what I should have simply said in the first place... sigh...

haha, thanks for the great input. I always tend to run on when typing also. I like the rythmik sub, i understand servo technology, i feel like rythmik is a great sub but i feel that there is another sub out there that is a good contender.

o yea i dont hate my hearing, the sierras tell me to turn it up.

Default Differences

This is speculation on my part, but I think I'd categorize the Sierra upgrade as subtle and the sub upgrade as huge.

The Rythmik is in a different class from the Polk. I think you'll hear a tighter, better defined bass with music. Where you'll really hear the difference is with HT. The Polk only goes down to 35hz while the Rhythmik will get down in the low 20's. There's plenty of movies with content that low. A sub that can play it really adds a lot.

You'll be hard pressed to find another sub at the Rhythmik's price point that does everything as well. There might be some that play a little louder but at the cost of control.

Default Re: Differences

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    This is speculation on my part, but I think I'd categorize the Sierra upgrade as subtle and the sub upgrade as huge.

The Rythmik is in a different class from the Polk. I think you'll hear a tighter, better defined bass with music. Where you'll really hear the difference is with HT. The Polk only goes down to 35hz while the Rhythmik will get down in the low 20's. There's plenty of movies with content that low. A sub that can play it really adds a lot.

You'll be hard pressed to find another sub at the Rhythmik's price point that does everything as well. There might be some that play a little louder but at the cost of control.
    I agree with this sentiment. The upgrade going from a Polk sub to Rythmik sub will be a big improvement not only in performance and sound quality but also build quality. It is a big leap in fact.