Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: d15 Hum

Default Re: d15 Hum

Hi everyone, I'm resurrecting my old thread instead of creating a brand new one.

I solved my original hum problem with a better quality subwoofer cable and it has been working perfectly for about 3 years.

A couple weeks ago my wife was watching TV (at a low volume) while I was out and she said that suddenly the subwoofer went completely berzerk and started shaking the house. Luckily she thought quickly and turned the sub off and pulled the plug out of the wall.

The sub has been unplugged since then (to be honest, my new Sierra Towers have plenty of bass) but now that I'm getting around to looking at it, I'm concerned there might be a bigger problem.

When plugged in to the wall (even with no audio source) I'm getting VERY loud hum. I've tried:
    - swapping out the RCA cable
    - swapping out the AC cable
    - plugging it into different outlets around the house

I get the same result with everything. As a last resort I tried a cheater plug.
    - With the cheater plug IN, the sub shakes the house once I flip it on
    - With the cheater plug OUT, it is just a very loud hum.
    This is the opposite behavior than I expected!

Right now, my sub is unplugged and I am very sad

What do I do next? Is it possible the amp or transformer is broken? Is this still under warranty?

I had the same or similar thing happen with my 20 day old F15HP. Does your sub make constant static at 120 hz setting and high volume setting in the back of the sub? Mine also occasionally goes berserk and rumbles out of control.

Hmm... no static that I notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DevL View Post
    I had the same or similar thing happen with my 20 day old F15HP. Does your sub make constant static at 120 hz setting and high volume setting in the back of the sub? Mine also occasionally goes berserk and rumbles out of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by logicology View Post
    Hmm... no static that I notice.
    These issues are definitely not related... Logicology appears to have a major ground loop issue. By installing the cheater plug, the ground is "lifted" and thus the ground loop is interrupted.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com