Thread: Denon 1910 and Ascends

Default Denon 1910 and Ascends

I have a Denon 1910 and am considering getting some Ascends, either the 340 SE's or Sierras for 5.1 and maybe going to 7.1 in the future.

Will my receiver match up okay to the Ascends? Thanks.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4858.asp

Default Re: Denon 1910 and Ascends

Receivers and other components and speaker pairings ultimately come down to personal taste and listening preferences (ie, what type of music you listen to, etc)

That said, I have a similar Denon receiver (AVR-2309) and find that they go nicely with Sierra-1s (though to be honest, I've only ever heard the Sierras on one other amplifier).

Some would swear that the "warmer" sound of the Harman Kardons would match the Ascends a bit better, but again, this is a matter of taste. I would think that most mid-level (or higher level of course) consumer receivers would fit the bill. I recommend Denon or Onkyo myself for receivers (and have heard good things about the new Pioneers), simply based on the features per dollar basis - which to me is the most important thing to consider on receivers in this price bracket.

What you do get with Ascend speakers (speaking from experience with Sierras) is faithful and fairly neutral reproduction of what you feed them. This will serve you well with your current receiver and in future should you decide to upgrade.

Edit: As many will recommend, if you are going with a 5.1 system, I would suggest getting Sierras for the Front Right/Center/Left and then something like the HM200SEs. Unless you do a lot of critical 5 channel music listening, Sierra-1s for the rear will be a waste of money.

If you pick of the HM200SEs B-stock, you could get a 5.1 system with Sierra fronts for only a couple hundred more than a 340SE 5.1 setup. Unless your room is quite large and you want to watch movies really loud, I think the Sierra/HM200SE combo is a great option. However, if you do have a large room, the greater sensitivity on the 340SEs will give you more sound with your moderately powered receiver.
    Last edited by cynan; 02-04-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Denons I think are known to have a neutral sound. Ascends as well. If that's true, I don't think neutral+neutral is a bad thing for revealing accurately source material. Anyways, I think that Ascends, especially Sierra-1 do a great job of revealing the source material and the difference between the new HD masters on blu ray vs. Dolby Digital (on the same disc) is night and day different if you can decode the source and the amp and the speakers can transmit them cleanly. I have a Denon 988 and Sierra-1 and they do a great job at that. I am very happy for music and movies with that combination. I do see the appeal of tube amps when you have a good speaker (which the Sierra-1 is), so there is a possibiity I will get an extra hybrid amp or tube preamp to drive the Sierra1's with occassionally, but I expect the Denon will stay the workhorse of my Ascend home theatre and music system for years to come.

I just switched to a Denon 1910 from a Panasonic SAXR55, and it sounds amazing.

Disclaimer- I am far from an audiophile, I just play at it.

My system sounds very clear and natural. I listen to a lot of music on the system, and 5.1 television/movies. I have 340SE's across the front and I use Polk in-walls for the rear/surround since my couch is against the rear wall, and a Hsu VTF2-mk3 for my sub.

I think you would be very happy with Ascends for a surround system with your Denon!

Quote Originally Posted by Venri88 View Post
    I think you would be very happy with Ascends for a surround system with your Denon!
    I am very happy with my Denon and Sierra's. I actually wish the Denon would go a little louder though. I can easily max it out watching movies.

Works for me. Just got mine Denon 1910 with 3.0 340 set-up last night and it sounds great. Will be working on my other 2.0 tonight (170 rears). They sound good together.