Thread: what happens between 2.1 and 3.1?

Default what happens between 2.1 and 3.1?

My question mostly relates to 2 channel music. I understand that 5.1 or 7.1 channel movies (or SACD and DVD-A) have a center channel, and the center speaker would simply play the center channel (and it's mostly voices/dialogue, right?).

But what happens on 2 channel music when you have your receiver set to 3.1 (or 5.1 w/o the rears)? Does the receiver mix the left and right channel equally into the center speaker? How does that affect sound quality on music? If it just mixes into the center speaker I'm wondering if that just muddies up the sound.

And/or should the center speaker not be used on music but only for movies?

Default Re: what happens between 2.1 and 3.1?

My Onkyo 805 takes a mix of L/R and routes it to the center in 7.1. Personally I don't like the effect at all. The Sierras have such a great soundstage and excellent imaging I don't see the point in listening to anything but the original stereo mix for music. Movies or TV is another matter, where you usually want the dialog centered.

Works for me - you may feel differently.

arkiedan

Default Re: what happens between 2.1 and 3.1?

Many receivers have the option of adjusting the Dolby PLIIx "center width", which lets you adjust the spread of the vocals from all center channel to various degrees of blending into the front left and right channels for a more natural sound.