Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If there are new Sierra's or new name speakers.

Default Re: If there are new Sierra's or new name speakers.

Now we're talking!

I'd say to significantly upgrade the Sierras it would probably be in the area of $200-$300 a pair with shipping. The 170 SE upgrade was between $100-$200 if memory serves.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Ha -- I got a few more good years left in me

Actually, when it is really quiet around here, it means that I am working real hard somewhere else...

Curious about something, what would people be willing to pay for a Sierra-1 "upgrade" to bring the speaker to the next level in performance?
    Maybe around $300-350 per pair if it really takes them to a whole new level...
    What specific areas are you working on improving Dave?

I think it would depend on how high the next level is. I am quite happy with the Sierras, but more is always better!

A small improvement would likely have to run $50-100 to get me to bite. A significant improvement would probably get me to pay $150-300 depending on level of significance, and to move from the current Wow! of the Sierras to WOW!!!!!, I would probably be willing to go as high as a little over half again over the cost of a standard pair. If you are able to get more out of it than that,I think you've just invented the Sierra 2.

On my current shoestring budget, I'd have to do some saving to get anything more than the simple upgrade, but if you announced such an upgrade, the upgrade fund would probably get started the next day.

Chris

That's a tough question. It was worth the money for me to move from the 340se to the Sierra. The improvement was both aesthetic and sonic.

It seems to me that a similar improvement, if you could somehow quantify it, would cost more because I assume it takes more dollars for the same improvement (i.e., a sound improvement curve would be logrithmic as one approaches "perfect" sound).

Are you talking about an SE Sierra, or a new beast? Do you already know what your options are, or would you have to start with entirely new designs and testing?

I think you have well established yourself as someone concerned with price/performance value. I love to hear what an SE version of the Sierra would sound like.

An upgrade at this time for the Sierra's would work well for me, since my pair are currently in the original packing box.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Curious about something, what would people be willing to pay for a Sierra-1 "upgrade" to bring the speaker to the next level in performance?
    I'd be interested, for sure. I'm whole-heartedly sold on the Sierras and what they can do...I'd be in for upwards of $300 shipped. Hell, if you made a good enough case for what the improvements are, I could even go higher.
    Jon O.

Dave,

Not sure but what ever the cost is I'm in. The biggest issue for me would be not having my Sierras for the time it would take for shipping and upgrading. Please keep us all up to date on what these "upgrades" will consist of and the overall benefits to an already excellent speaker.

Bill

Big upgrade to current Sierra's, up to 50%

Double the speaker sq upgrade would = double the money.
    (As this would sound better, then anything near its price point.)

Well, I would not expect 50% of the original price for an upgrade. You already have the cabinet and basic drivers & crossover. Swapping out, say, the tweeters and maybe revising the existing crossovers if required should not be $400-$450. I'd think the woofer could be left alone since it is already excellent. Higher quality tweeters and misc. x-over parts, and the labor + shipping would be, in my estimation, the real costs involved.

Just my 2 cents. I think(hope!) that Dave would stay with the maximum bang for the buck philosophy.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I think the price of improved performance gets much higher as the level of performance rises , its not linear , 100.00 may get a 10% improvement at lower levels , may take 1000.00 to get 1% at a higher level

I am in for upgrades

Mark
    Bunch of speakers