Thread: Ascend 340SE center vs D.T. Pro Center 1000

Default Ascend 340SE center vs D.T. Pro Center 1000

In my system I have Ascend 340SE's for L and R. I currently have a Definitive Technolgy Pro Center 1000 for my center. Would switching to a 340SE center be a noticeable improvement? The Pro Center does sound pretty good but I can't help but to think that the 340SE would make a big improvement. I'm thinking that the 340SE center would give me a fuller sound. By the way the Pro Center is crossed over at 80hz, that is were Aud. set it. Is there anyone out there that has had any similar experiences switching out their centers for the matching 340SE center? Thanks for any feedback at all.

Default Re: Ascend 340SE center vs D.T. Pro Center 1000

Quote Originally Posted by BWG707 View Post
    I'm thinking that the 340SE center would give me a fuller sound.
    Does that mean the Pro center sounds thin to you right now compared with your 340 LR? DO you notice different characteristics in sound between LR and Center?
    Ideally it's good to match your LCR to have seamless front sound-stage.

I would definitely get the matching 340. There is a lot to be said for having a matching front three. Other than that, I would tend to think that the Ascend would be a bit better anyhow. Nothing against the Def Tech, but the 340 makes an excellent center with wonderful dialog and good impact. It's certainly one of the better centers I've heard under 1,000 dollars. Some might say I'm crazy, but to my ears it is. I've heard a large number of centers in my room, and the 340 was better than most, and certainly cheaper than everything else. A huge bang for the buck, and to have a matching front three is huge thing in my opinion. I say go for it!

The Pro Center doesn't really sound "thin" and actually blends rather well with the 340's. I'am wondering if I'd get more "headroom" with the 340, maybe more in the way of DBs? Maybe it's the bass that seems lacking somewhat. I was wondering what others' findings and observations were that have ran a different center with their 340s. Also where would be the best placement, upbove or below the screen. Right now I have it upbove, it seems ideal there.

Hi BWG707,

The 340 SE is a much "beefier" center speaker than the Pro 1000 and you will definitely get quite a bit more headroom, a fuller sound (especially with male vocals) and deeper bass even with an 80Hz crossover setting.

Try swapping your center with one of your 340 SE mains and have a listen... This will give you a very good indication of what you can expect with a 340SE center...

Hope this helps and be sure to report back!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

DavidF, thank you for your response. That is exactly what I was wanting to hear and from who I wanted to hear. What do most people normally set their crossover point to on the 340se center? My L and R are crossed at 80hz right now.