Thread: Q-plugs for Sierras?

Default Q-plugs for Sierras?

I have a LCR Sierra combo & I've been wondering what they'd sound like with Q-plugs. The information on the Q-plugs says that they might be of benefit if they were placed near a wall. What's near? My LR speakers sit 21" from the back wall and 16" in from the sidewall. The center sits in an open back cabinet 16" from the back wall. I think they sound great and assume for my setup they aren't necessary. I was curious though if any other knew what "near" meant and what they were using (plug/no plug and distance) for their setups.

Default Re: Q-plugs for Sierras?

It depends on the room response. Do you feel bass to be boomy at all? How large is the room and do you use a subwoofer at all?
    -curtis

The room is 318 sq ft & 2330 cu ft. I do use a sub & don't feel the room is too boomy. My impression is that Q-plugs aren't needed. I was more curious than anything and am trying to get a feel for what "near wall" means.

My room is about the same size as yours, but I have a bit more space to the sides of my L/R speakers, but my center has less space behind it.

I felt everything sounded great before the Q-plugs, but I decided to give them a shot.

For the L/R, I use the "B" plug. This took a slight bit a punch away from the speaker, but smoothed out the transition to the sub to where it is now seamless...I(and others that have tried) can not detect the transition to the sub. The overall effect was subtle, but noticeable, especially when critically listening.

For the center, I use the "A" plug. This made more of a difference, and since most vocals come from the center, that is where you hear the difference the most.....they are cleaner. I only have about 7-8" behind my center, and the wall behind it has a large Kandinsky print framed in glass...so very reflective.
    -curtis

Hmmm...I think I'm OK with the LR but curious about the center. Especially since you made this comment "For the center, I use the "A" plug. This made more of a difference, and since most vocals come from the center, that is where you hear the difference the most.....they are cleaner"

Does Dave sell Q-plugs just for the center or do you have to buy a pack that includes the LR?

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Hmmm...I think I'm OK with the LR but curious about the center. Especially since you made this comment "For the center, I use the "A" plug. This made more of a difference, and since most vocals come from the center, that is where you hear the difference the most.....they are cleaner"

Does Dave sell Q-plugs just for the center or do you have to buy a pack that includes the LR?
    Well, remember, it made more of a difference because there is less space behind it.

I am pretty sure that Ascend would work with you if you just wanted to try a single plug, but I also think it is worthwhile to experiment.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Well, remember, it made more of a difference because there is less space behind it.
    Understand. Mine is twice the difference from the wall and you also had reflective material.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I am pretty sure that Ascend would work with you if you just wanted to try a single plug, but I also think it is worthwhile to experiment.
    I think so too. I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by wish View Post
    Yes -- you can purchase Q-Plugs for one speaker. Cost is $19, which includes shipping.

Q-plugs are sold as a kit. One kit per speaker. Each kit contains one each of Q-Plug A and Q-Plug B. When you order, you specify how many kits you need (how many speakers) -- anywhere from 1 speaker to many.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com