Thread: set up questions including sloped wall / ceiling

Question set up questions including sloped wall / ceiling

Am I setting this up alright?

I ordered a pair of Sierra-1 fronts, and they will be on the SP-30 stands. Also, I'm getting the Rythmik F12 sub. I'm very excited to get everything!

I have a Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver.

My living room is setup such that the wall behind the tv and speakers is sloped to the ceiling. The wall is straight up to about 3 feet, and then slopes at maybe 30 degrees to the 8 foot ceiling.

I have a pdf of a rough sketch of the living room, but it's too big too upload.

The living room dimensions are roughly:
    24' x 16' x 8' (with the part of the wall slanting up to maybe 10 feet then dropping straight down to 8 feet right about where the center couch is) and the living room is open to another open area about 10' x 10' x 8'.

I have three couches making a rectangle with the tv/speaker set up.

There is a wall behind the left couch, about 8-10 feet behind the right couch before a wall and about the same behind the middle couch.

The Sierras will go left and right of my Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85U. The sub will probably go to the left or right of the speakers. There's not a lot of options there given WAF considerations.

I don't have the option to rotate the living room setup (WAF).

I'll run the Audyssey set up, and see how that does.

Is there anything that I should do or be concerned about given the sloped wall or anything else?

I'm probably going to get a Gramma pad because I live in a condo, and I want to disturb the condo below me as little as possible. I'm sure I'll have to keep it turned down anyway until I move into a house, but I'll do what I can.

I ordered 12 gauge speaker wire, banana plugs and a sub digital coaxial from monoprice. My TV, receiver, DVR and PS3 are all connected by HDMIs. I have everything plugged into a regular surge protector.

Any other thoughts about how I should set my system up? Or other things I need to do?

Default Re: set up questions including sloped wall / ceiling

I have Sierra fronts with F12SE in a similar sized space. I absolutely love the setup. I am not sure about the acoustics but I wanted to comment on the Gramma - I purchased the subdude. I would recommend buying the subdude over the gramma because the subdude is imho the perfect size for the F-12. The F-12 sits nicely on it and extend a little less than two inches beyond the edges of the subdude. The gramma would extend out beyond the edges of the subwoofer. Perhaps that would help a bit with isolating the sub but I think it would look kind of ugly. I was somewhat skeptical as to whether the subdude would work but ordered it anyway through Amazon because of return policy. It does seem to help with isolating mechanical transference through the floor. Not sure it makes much difference overall as the bass travels through walls and floors anyway. I really did noticed an improvement in bass quality/clarity though when I placed the F-12 on the subdude. Could be just because I was expecting some difference nonetheless I feel it was worth the $50.00. Ordered subdude from Amazon for a good price and it came quickly. Enjoy the system! I recommend Sierras and Rythmik to all my friends!

Default Re: set up questions including sloped wall / ceiling

Thanks Bsound. I probably will go with the Subdude instead of the Gramma.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the sloped ceiling in terms of positioning the speakers or sub?

I can provide a sketch if anyone has an idea how to post an oversize pdf.