Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Conce...C+Sakari+Oramo

MP3 version for $6. Wonder if it is worth it. I am sure the SACD surround sounds better but this is so affordable

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Conce...C+Sakari+Oramo

MP3 version for $6. Wonder if it is worth it. I am sure the SACD surround sounds better but this is so affordable
    Yep. The problem is that I don't trust MP3's on the internet. I have no idea what the encoded bitrate is.. .whether it's constant bit rate or variable bit rate. But more importantly, I assume it was encoded with burststreaming (inaccurate transfer from the CD to wav before conversion to MP3) which introduces small amounts of degradation in order to speed up the ripping process. I also don't know what program was used to encode the MP3. I insist on ripping my own MP3's to ensure that my library contains only transparent quality music indistinguishable from the original CD. Exact Audio Copy in secure mode (not burst mode) is used to transfer an error-free copy from the CD to a wave file, and then Lame Encoder (LAME is the best MP3 Encoder in the world) (V2 setting or better) is used for conversion to a variable bit rate MP3 which yields a transparent quality MP3. It is indistinguishable from the original CD in blinded ABX testing. If a song sounds like crap, I have confidence that it's crappy from the original CD and not because it's a crappy quality MP3.
    Last edited by bkdc; 02-17-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks. I have bought several mp3s from amazon. On the rock ones it didn't seem to matter. But on a Sibelius collection it didn't sound as good as the cd I later bought. They usually have decent bit rates but they can vary. And if they use a faster process it might not sound the same as eac and lame which I also use for cd to mp3 transfer.

The set I bought - with rave reviews for sound quality on these mp3s - but I don't recommend this.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sibelius-Compl...dp/B004Z4ZN4A/
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 02-17-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Steve Earle's new album Terraplane. I love his bluegrass album and this blues album is just as solid.

Better off Alone

IMG_0096.JPG
    Not an audiophile CD, but with the mastering engineer Bob Ludwig at the helm, the sound is open, clean and engaging. Party on!

Freddie Hubbard "Straight Life" LP

Last edited by guy; 08-09-2015 at 01:48 PM.

I recently discovered Trevor Hall, who has a style similar to Jack Johnson with a reggae flare. I'm really digging his stuff - especially the earlier albums. "The Rascals Have Returned", and "Well I Say.." sound great on my Sierra 2s.
    Last edited by benj805; 09-18-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benj805 View Post
    I recently discovered Trevor Hall, who has a style similar to Jack Johnson with a reggae flare. I'm really digging his stuff - especially the earlier albums. "The Rascals Have Returned", and "Well I Say.." sound great on my Sierra 2s.
    Just ordered 2 CD's... Good stuff - thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by benj805 View Post
    Big thumbs up for Trevor Hall!!! Really enjoying his work - -will be buying a few more CD's...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Can't have too much Reggae.
    Try Peter Rowan's "Reggaebilly" album. A wonderful fusion of New Grass and Reggae.
    http://www.amazon.com/Reggaebilly-Pe.../dp/B0000646UA