Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Cajon View Post
    King Crimson - "In The Court Of The Crimson King" * DVD DTS 5.1 Surround

Released in 1969, it remains a Classic for the ages. If you have not listened to this album in its entirety, you are missing out. In 5.1, it's really fun!

http://https://www.dgmlive.com/news/51%20years%20old%20today%20In%20The%20Court%20Of%2 0King%20Crimson

It's also quite nice on vinyl in good old Stereo!

- Greg
    100% agree, this is old but a true classic. Up there in the ranks of old school Pink Floyd.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

With that said; if you haven't listened to 'Liquid Tension Experiment' featuring John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin - check it out!! I think Jordan Rudess is also one or two of these albums. It's an instrumental side project going back about 20 years. They just released "LTE 3". I have their first album on CD, and have a download of the 2nd release.- Greg
    Funny that you mention LTE. A few weeks ago I downloaded a spotify mix called Instrumental Madness. Great Mix, however one particular song really left an impression with me, it was truly madness - incredibly complex, reminded me a of an old favorite of mine, Hocus Pocus by Focus. That song is Acid Rain by LTE, and they have been in my rotation ever since.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Very Nice!! I discovered Porcupine Tree around 2006, when I previewed their album, "Signify" from eMusic's online download site. Wow! Today; I own just about everything that I could get my hands on on CD, DVD DTS 5.1 (including the concert video, "Arriving Somewhere" - Live from Chicago (a definite Must Have!!!), & most of the releases on Vinyl. Those include Steven Wilson's solo catalog. I've also preordered the upcoming PT album which doesn't release until next June.
    The Pineapple Thief, I've been listening to since around 2008. I do have a couple of their newer releases on vinyl. But; going back to the beginning, I think the only album (on CD) that I don't have is the release, "4 Stories Down".
    I highly, highly, recommend starting from the beginning! " Abducting The Unicorn" is fantastic! As are all of those early albums. I certainly enjoy their newer music, as well.
    I have the first 2 Blackfield albums on CD, and most of the No-Man releases on CD, as well.

I do not have any Storm Corrosion, Bass Communion, or any of the other PT members solo work (yet).
    Interestingly; Colin Edwin is not listed as being part of the lineup on the upcoming Porcupine Tree album. It has been mentioned that Steven is playing bass on the record. There has been 1 song released from the new album. It's on YT, and is titled, 'Harridan'.

Around 2007, somewhere along the way, I discovered Dream Theater. Like, PT or TPT, I can mention these bands to folks on the street, many of my friends, etc,,,, and nobody knows who I'm talking about. Ha! I was even at a brewpub in Northampton, MA in 2007 which is very close to NYC, and mentioned DT to some folks. They had no idea who I was talking about! Of course; I mention NYC because DT began on Long Island.
    So; I went crazy and purchased early DT on CD, including, their grandiose DVD concert Live from Radio City Music Hall celebrating 20 years as a band! Great concert, too, featuring a full orchestra during the second half oif the show! I believe, "Octavarian" had been released just prior to the show.
    Great musicians! No question! But; I'm just not a big fan James Labrie's singing. Some of it is okay. That's just me. I've never been a serious metal consumer.
    As a band, they are amazing. Of course; Mike Portnoy, drummer & one of the orignal founders left in 2010 to pursue new avenues.
    With that said; if you haven't listened to 'Liquid Tension Experiment' featuring John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin - check it out!! I think Jordan Rudess is also one or two of these albums. It's an instrumental side project going back about 20 years. They just released "LTE 3". I have their first album on CD, and have a download of the 2nd release.

- Greg
    I got the dvd after Pogre mentioned it a few weeks back. The music is great...the video production not so much. I wish they had just focused on the musicians instead of trying to get all artsy with the black and white grainy B.S.

I'm sad Colin isn't part of the new record. I really enjoyed his playing and the ever-present joyful grin on his face while he's playing on stage.

Here's my playlist if anyone wants to borrow it: https://tidal.com/playlist/906f9ead-...c-d5b39f85353a
    Last edited by PersonalTriumph; 12-04-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Billy Cobham - "Spectrum" (CD * release date: 1973)
    Can you say, BADASS!!?? On the forefront of Fusion along with The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds Of Fire".

Stratus!!!!!!

- Greg
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-04-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalTriumph View Post
    I got the dvd after Pogre mentioned it a few weeks back. The music is great...the video production not so much. I wish they had just focused on the musicians instead of trying to get all artsy with the black and white grainy B.S.

I'm sad Colin isn't part of the new record. I really enjoyed his playing and the ever-present joyful grin on his face while he's playing on stage.

Here's my playlist if anyone wants to borrow it: https://tidal.com/playlist/906f9ead-...c-d5b39f85353a
    Steven Wilson's "Home Invasion" Concert Video from his 3 night residency @ The Royal Albert Hall is, on the other hand, a gorgeous Bluray presentation! A damn fine 5 LP Boxset, too!

- Greg

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Funny that you mention LTE. A few weeks ago I downloaded a spotify mix called Instrumental Madness. Great Mix, however one particular song really left an impression with me, it was truly madness - incredibly complex, reminded me a of an old favorite of mine, Hocus Pocus by Focus. That song is Acid Rain by LTE, and they have been in my rotation ever since.
    That's great to hear, David! I was looking for my CD of the first LTE release yesterday, and cannot find it! Very strange, and I was wondering if I had possibly loaned it out to a friend?! If so; it's been awhile now. I need to get out to Discogs and search for a nice copy of it along with 'LTE 2'. Their latest should still readily be available.
    You mention, 'complex' when speaking about them. I think that really holds true with these guys! Vocals withstanding, listening to any of Dream Theater's music, to me, has a serious 'Wow' factor! These guys are all virtuoso musicians! Not to even mention, Tony Levin on bass and Chapman Stick! Just look at the guy's resume! Peter Gabriel, King Crimson!!! Those 2 alone, and the list goes on! When Jordan Rudess came on board playing keyboards many years back now with DT; Incredible! Lol! And, look at John Petrucci on guitars!! My Goodness!!! Ha! And, John Myung on bass! Yeah!! Dream Theater plays with a stacked deck! Of course; Mike Mangini has been their drummer since 2010 when Mike Portnoy (original DT founder along with Petrucci, & Myung) decided to move on. I guess once Mangini auditioned, the decision was made! Lol! He's a pretty amazing percussionist!
    To get a bit sidetracked, It reminds me of when Alex & Geddy first heard Neil Peart! The decision was made! They had found their new drummer. That was July 29th, 1974, by the way. The rest is musical history! Oh! And, talk about complex music! Rush had lots and lots of that! What a trio with the chops!!
    To me personally, there are several bands with a single virtuoso player. Even rarer perhaps, the bands with a couple!
    Porcupine Tree & Steven Wilson's solo bands are much like DT, King Crimson, & Rush; only the very best available play on Steven Wilson's projects! Although there were a few changes in early PT personnel, the lineup in their most popular iteration; Gavin Harrison, Richard Barbieri, Colin Edwin, & Steven Wilson, & also John Wesley (guitarist / background vocals) on ocassion, were hand picked! That holds true when he began his solo projects and PT came to an end * with the release
    of, "The Incident" and subsequent tour, 'Octane Twisted".
    Yeah! Each of his solo releases features different musicians to fit the requirement of what he is writing at the time. He likes talking about how he does not want to repeat something he has already done. For many of his listeners, me included, that philosophy really hit home with, "To The Bone"!! Yikes! Lol! What is he doing??!! And; his latest album is even further removed from that Porcupine Tree sound; " The Future Bites"!
    That's okay, though! I did finally order both of those albums on vinyl & Bluray. They settled in after some listening.
    I feel Steven Wilson always surrounds himself with the finest musicians for the job. In the studio, and translating that to his live shows.

It's funny though; looking back to the 70s, (easy for me; I'm 67 ) there were quite a few bands with quite a few virtuoso players!! Focus, famous for that album, "Hocus Pocus", as David mentions, comes to mind! What a great sound, too!!
    ELP & Yes, are two of my personal favorites in the progressive arena.
    Some of my favorite Jazz musicians/groups; Al Di Meola, Return To Forever, Weather Report, Billy Cobham, & The Mahavishnu Orchestra certainly come to my mind, as well! No posers allowed here, folks! Virtuoso's all of them!

* It has been nearly 13 years since Porcupine Tree released their last album, "The Incident". Recently, it was announced the release of a new album, "Closure / Continuation". It officially releases on June 24th, 2022. The single, 'Harridan' is available on YT.

- Greg
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-05-2021 at 06:43 AM.

Steven Wilson "4 1/2" 180 gram LP

- Greg
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-05-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Welcome to the club

Also Check out:

No Man
    Opeth
    Also check out these 2 bands.

Riverside and OSI
    Darn - how am I ever going to save up for an upgrade! JK
    "Senior Member" AKA - long time loiterer, far from knowledgeable

I guess I am the Luddite here

I have never thought it worth using FLAC - maybe if you play it through good speakers it makes a diffference - so maybe I should try it. I usually use mp3s at a high quality setting.

Also, now that I have a decent center speaker I just happened to find a DT dvd in a thrift store - time to check it out! (Metropolis 2000)
    Last edited by donaldekelly; 12-05-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    "Senior Member" AKA - long time loiterer, far from knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    I guess I am the Luddite here

I have never thought it worth using FLAC - maybe if you play it through good speakers it makes a diffference - so maybe I should try it. I usually use mp3s at a high quality setting.

Also, now that I have a decent center speaker I just happened to find a DT dvd in a thrift store - time to check it out! (Metropolis 2000)
    Lol! You're a step ahead of me! I have no streaming service or music server, nor do I have any real playlists. I listen to Spotify on my phone when I'm working out, and rarely while driving. Several years back, I did download a few flac files, and created CDs.
    I'm an album guy. When I drop the stylus, I play the entire LP. When I load the Oppo, I play the entire CD. The Sony 5.1 receiver, the center channel, rear channels, and subwoofer are off. 2 channel only.

- Greg