Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

After hearing them perform on the Grammys this year, they really raised my interest, so I finally got their CD.

The Civil Wars "Barton Hollow"...wasn't sure it was going to be my type of music, but it is EXCELLENT!

-curtis

Alicia Keys and Tori Amos to spotlight the (NrT) Towers female vocals and midrange presence.

Dire Straits, Talking Heads, Wilco and Mumford all shined today.

Sarah Vaughan (Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown) - I've probably listened to this album a thousand times. I'll easily do another thousand. Top to bottom, it's gotta be one of the best Jazz albums of all time. And the music really comes alive through the towers....

@dittomusik: Is your copy of "Hounds of Love" a re-release (i.e. remastered)? Ms. Bush recently remastered "The Sensual World" and "Red Shoes". The CD sound on "Hounds of Love" is a bit lacking - I would love to hear a retooling of that! I had the album, but crazy ex-wives...

@Sonic Ray: I know Ms. Amos is a gifted artist in her own right, but when she first appeared on the music scene, she was on Letterman, at the keyboard in a classic Kate Bush pose (left leg well behind the bench) with classic KB vocals and I immediately yelled at my TV, "Rip off!" If I was not a Bush fan in the first place, I probably would have loved Amos' music, but, alas... Please, no offense intended towards to your musical tastes!

@everyone else - thank you so much for this thread and the official one - lots of music to audition and buy!

I was looking over my music collection this weekend and think I will start a thread about "alternative" music ("alternative" as in left of the dial, not the garbage radio stations advertise as such). Any takers?
    "I aim to misbehave..."

Quote Originally Posted by Funambulistic View Post
    I was looking over my music collection this weekend and think I will start a thread about "alternative" music ("alternative" as in left of the dial, not the garbage radio stations advertise as such). Any takers?
    Yes, most certainly.
    Speakers: Sierra-1 (across the front), HTM-200SE (surrounds), Epik Valor (subwoofer)
    AVR: Denon AVR-4311CI
    Display: Pioneer PDP-5080HD
    Source devices: TiVo Premiere (2TB), TiVo Premiere (stock), Pioneer BDP-51FD, Oppo DV-981HD
    Protection: APC H10

@fun.: Ha, my wife brought Tori Amos into our marriage. I hated her at first and was sick and tired of the agressive "jilted lover" female genre that filled up the 90s. However, over time I've come to appreciate a small number of her songs and she has a sound that really showcases an aspect the Towers' performance. My personal musical taste can be summed up by 2 words: John Cale.

1) American Heartland, Bela Fleck et al.
    2) 96 Deg. in the Shade, Third World
    3) Live Au Zenith, Alpha Blondie
    4) Live in Japan, Rodrigo y Gabriela
    5) Shadow Man, Johnny Clegg and Savuca
    6) Ice Caps, Peaks of Telluride, Sam Bush, et al.

B.

Listening to Muddy Waters, "Folk Singer"... Fantastic CD, excellent sound quality and sounds great on the Sierra Towers

Might be the best $5 I have ever spent...

http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Singer-Mu...t_mus_ep_dpi_1
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Listening to Muddy Waters, "Folk Singer"... Fantastic CD, excellent sound quality and sounds great on the Sierra Towers

Might be the best $5 I have ever spent...

http://www.amazon.com/Folk-Singer-Mu...t_mus_ep_dpi_1
    Easy enough to buy! I have Amazon Prime...so no extra shipping cost too.
    -curtis

Agreed, Prime is a wonderful thing and well worth the annual dues.

Just ordered my copy of "Folk Singer." Blues and folk music occupy a small percentage of my library. However, I purchased the album based on the samples, description, and customer reviews. Dave's hearty recommendation sealed the deal. He has good taste.

Dave, I like it when you spend my money!

Thanks for the recommendation. Can't beat 5 bucks!
    -Jacob