Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

I've started to look into higher definition music and there is a big difference. I've been streaming HDTracks and my response has been similar to your experience with SACD.
    Recently I was talking with a Producer / Engineer and he started me thinking about DVD Audio. I don't have anything to play DVDA with just yet, but hear Oppo is coming out with a true 4K player, so holding out for the used BDP105's that are likely to hit the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    I've started to look into higher definition music and there is a big difference. I've been streaming HDTracks and my response has been similar to your experience with SACD.
    Recently I was talking with a Producer / Engineer and he started me thinking about DVD Audio. I don't have anything to play DVDA with just yet, but hear Oppo is coming out with a true 4K player, so holding out for the used BDP105's that are likely to hit the market.
    That's a good strategy. I was looking at Oppo too but decided not to wait so picked up a refurbed Marantz from A4L. Which I'm sure will speed the release of the 4K Oppo, just like lighting a cigarette always makes the bus suddenly appear

I should have also mentioned that the SACD layers I've checked out so far are Multichannel, not stereo. So I would expect to hear more detail, but even compared to my other mch discs I feel like the difference is above and beyond what I expected. Stereo comparisons might be more placebo than real, at least according to some people, but multichannel SACD is imo the best _format_ upgrade I've experienced so far in my admittedly limited experience.

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews of SACD in two channel, but I'm sure in multi channel it's fantastic.

Now to re-rail the thread (sort of) currently streaming an HDTracks version of Getz/Gilberto and thinking how much better it will sound on my new Sierra 2's

Kat Edmonson - Take To The Sky

Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me

-Ben

Whoever recommended this (search did not work), I thank you. A concept album nowadays is unheard of, you will never hear this on the radio.

I have been enjoying Steven Wilson's new CD 4 1/2. http://amzn.com/B017OJG1I4

Been on repeat here at the office all day
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by 14er View Post

Whoever recommended this (search did not work), I thank you. A concept album nowadays is unheard of, you will never hear this on the radio.
    Ha! That's a line from one of the tunes on this album! I'm fine with NOT hearing it on the radio, if it means I don't have to be subjected to the "same old same old". Sounds like you enjoyed this one! In my view, what this thread is all about.