Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    As an aside - is there a discussion on the forum of mp3 services like Spotify vs purchasing the albums - or CDS? I will prbobably find it if I just search.

I am just in the habit of buying CDS and like having something to hold in my hand - but there is no logic there. Buying CDS is much better for the artists usually. I just remembered I signed up for spotify so will probably use Spotify and Pogre's linked videos to checkout TPT and DT to see what cds I purchase next.
    Some artists have an option to download their albums directly in FLAC or MP3 from their own website.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by donaldekelly View Post
    As an aside - is there a discussion on the forum of mp3 services like Spotify vs purchasing the albums - or CDS? I will prbobably find it if I just search.

I am just in the habit of buying CDS and like having something to hold in my hand - but there is no logic there. Buying CDS is much better for the artists usually. I just remembered I signed up for spotify so will probably use Spotify and Pogre's linked videos to checkout TPT and DT to see what cds I purchase next.
    This is pretty much exactly what I do. If I like something on Spotify or any streaming service, in most situations I will just buy the CD, rip it to FLAC, and then put the CD into storage. If I can't buy the CD (new or used), I will check Band Camp to see if it is downloadable in an uncompressed format.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yes - Bandcamp seems to be the place to sell your own MP3s - or on your own website at times. Sometimes on ebay it is clear that the cds are coming from the artist directly.

Thanks - I no longer need a discussion of this topic.
    "Senior Member" AKA - long time loiterer, far from knowledgeable

Steven Wilson "Insurgentes" DVD 5.1 Audio

First, thank you all - as a result of your geeking out over the new Porcupine Tree song a few days ago, I went down a Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson rabbit hole that I see no way out of.

Last night I made a Tidal playlist of all the acts tangentially connected to PT and Steven. So far it includes:

Porcupine Tree (obvi)
    Steven Wilson solo stuff (also obvi)
    Colin Edwin solo stuff
    The Pineapple Thief (BTW I keep getting these two mixed up - is it Pineapple Tree or Porcupine Thief...wait...)
    Blackfield
    Storm Corrosion

Are there any I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalTriumph View Post
    First, thank you all - as a result of your geeking out over the new Porcupine Tree song a few days ago, I went down a Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson rabbit hole that I see no way out of.

Last night I made a Tidal playlist of all the acts tangentially connected to PT and Steven. So far it includes:

Porcupine Tree (obvi)
    Colin Edwin solo stuff
    The Pineapple Thief (BTW I keep getting these two mixed up - is it Pineapple Tree or Porcupine Thief...wait...)
    Blackfield
    Storm Corrosion

Welcome to the club

Also Check out:

No Man
    Opeth

Opeth is heavier and every album is very different. The album Damnation (produced by Wilson) is very mellow - it's one of my goto's and a personal favorite.

Also check out these 2 bands.

Riverside and OSI, both daily listens for me. Riverside just released a new compilation.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by PersonalTriumph View Post

Porcupine Tree (obvi)
    Colin Edwin solo stuff
    Blackfield
    Storm Corrosion

Very Nice!! I discovered Porcupine Tree around 2006, when I previewed their album, "Signify" from eMusic's online download site. Wow! Today; I own just about everything that I could get my hands on on CD, DVD DTS 5.1 (including the concert video, "Arriving Somewhere" - Live from Chicago (a definite Must Have!!!), & most of the releases on Vinyl. Those include Steven Wilson's solo catalog. I've also preordered the upcoming PT album which doesn't release until next June.
    The Pineapple Thief, I've been listening to since around 2008. I do have a couple of their newer releases on vinyl. But; going back to the beginning, I think the only album (on CD) that I don't have is the release, "4 Stories Down".
    I highly, highly, recommend starting from the beginning! " Abducting The Unicorn" is fantastic! As are all of those early albums. I certainly enjoy their newer music, as well.
    I have the first 2 Blackfield albums on CD, and most of the No-Man releases on CD, as well.

I do not have any Storm Corrosion, Bass Communion, or any of the other PT members solo work (yet).
    Interestingly; Colin Edwin is not listed as being part of the lineup on the upcoming Porcupine Tree album. It has been mentioned that Steven is playing bass on the record. There has been 1 song released from the new album. It's on YT, and is titled, 'Harridan'.

Around 2007, somewhere along the way, I discovered Dream Theater. Like, PT or TPT, I can mention these bands to folks on the street, many of my friends, etc,,,, and nobody knows who I'm talking about. Ha! I was even at a brewpub in Northampton, MA in 2007 which is very close to NYC, and mentioned DT to some folks. They had no idea who I was talking about! Of course; I mention NYC because DT began on Long Island.
    So; I went crazy and purchased early DT on CD, including, their grandiose DVD concert Live from Radio City Music Hall celebrating 20 years as a band! Great concert, too, featuring a full orchestra during the second half oif the show! I believe, "Octavarian" had been released just prior to the show.
    Great musicians! No question! But; I'm just not a big fan James Labrie's singing. Some of it is okay. That's just me. I've never been a serious metal consumer.
    As a band, they are amazing. Of course; Mike Portnoy, drummer & one of the orignal founders left in 2010 to pursue new avenues.
    With that said; if you haven't listened to 'Liquid Tension Experiment' featuring John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, and Tony Levin - check it out!! I think Jordan Rudess is also one or two of these albums. It's an instrumental side project going back about 20 years. They just released "LTE 3". I have their first album on CD, and have a download of the 2nd release.

- Greg
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-03-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Welcome to the club

Also Check out:

No Man
    Opeth

Opeth is heavier and every album is very different. The album Damnation (produced by Wilson) is very mellow - it's one of my goto's and a personal favorite.

Also check out these 2 bands.

Riverside and OSI, both daily listens for me. Riverside just released a new compilation.
    Thanks for posting, David!

Opeth! I know that Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt are friends, and Steven has worked on some of Opeth's records.
    I need to check, especially, into the 'more mellow' offering from them.
    Riverside is another band that I think I've heard Steven Wilson mention during interviews. I need to give them a listen. OSI, I've heard of. Just not familiar with them. IEM (Incredible Expanding Mindf***) is another project of Wilson's that I haven't listened to.
    I remember discovering the Burning Shed store in England! Want to get thrown for a loop??!! Lol!
    They have bands and some individual artists' albums for sale - all formats, that I have never heard of!
    I ordered my PT album, "Stupid Dream" on vinyl from them many years ago! A great site with great customer service!!
    I recently ordered PT's DVD 5.1 Audio set, "Octane Twisted" from them. This is their Live show of the tour following PT's last album, "The Incident".

- Greg

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This is pretty much exactly what I do. If I like something on Spotify or any streaming service, in most situations I will just buy the CD, rip it to FLAC, and then put the CD into storage. If I can't buy the CD (new or used), I will check Band Camp to see if it is downloadable in an uncompressed format.
    I do the same thing. If I hear something I like I buy the cd and rip it to FLAC then store the cd for backup.

Man I love the digital age. All of my music in high quality at my fingertips is awesome. I read an article recently "Were the 70s the Golden Age for Audio?". I think yes and no. Lots of cool new things were happening then but I think we're living in the best of times for audio now. The gear has never been so good on the speaker front.

King Crimson - "In The Court Of The Crimson King" * DVD DTS 5.1 Surround

Released in 1969, it remains a Classic for the ages. If you have not listened to this album in its entirety, you are missing out. In 5.1, it's really fun!

http://https://www.dgmlive.com/news/51%20years%20old%20today%20In%20The%20Court%20Of%2 0King%20Crimson

It's also quite nice on vinyl in good old Stereo!

- Greg
    Last edited by Outlaw Cajon; 12-03-2021 at 03:10 PM.